Railroad Forums 

• Steam modeling in HO question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1199575  by jbvb

25 or more years ago, a B&M/NH style arch-window cab was offered as an etched brass kit in HO. I have never actually handled one, and only luck and a lot of digging through estate sale tables at train shows is likely to find one.

This is the kind of thing that an enterprising modeler who is good at CAD could do, after studying the published plans, and get manufactured a dozen at a time by a laser cutting shop, or maybe 3D printing. Maybe when I retire.
 #1199720  by Piyer

You could also take a regular cab and modify the windows to match by carving and sanding. You could also cut away the cab sides and replace them with styrene walls with the desired window shapes. Or you could scratch build an entire replacement cab out of styrene. It all depends on your skill set, and what type of cab you are starting off with.
 #1200438  by bmcdr

jbvb wrote:25 or more years ago, a B&M/NH style arch-window cab was offered as an etched brass kit in HO. I have never actually handled one, and only luck and a lot of digging through estate sale tables at train shows is likely to find one.
Yes, those cabs were done by John Pryke and the New Haven RR Technical Assoc., and they are practically non-existant today!

However, Stephen Funaro of Funaro and Camerlengo had expressed interest in doing those cabs a couple of years ago at the Springfield Show, perhaps if a few modellers got together, and convinced him that enough people were interested, he might commit to the project. I, myself wouldn't mind having a few of those cabs.