Railroad Forums 

• Steam in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1288906  by bwparker1

Is the Essex Steam Train the only railroad that operates regular steam trains? I know there is also the Mt. Washington Cog Railroad, but doesn't really count if you are looking for standard gauge.

What other operations are running steam in New England, even if it is on a limited basis? I know that the RMNE had a steam visitor earlier this summer. How about Conway Scenic? Anyone else?

- Thanks.
 #1288912  by elecuyer

Quick list of current regular operating steam in New England:
WW&F, Alna Maine - 2' Maine Narrow Gauge
Boothbay Railway Village, Maine - 2' Pseudo-Maine Narrow Gauge
Conway Scenic, NH - Std. Gauge Steam - limited use this year, then overhaul 2015-2016.
Clark's Trading Post, Lincoln NH - Std. Gauge Steam, Logging Railroad. 3 Serviceable Locomotives - best seen Railfan Weekend in Sept.
Mt. Washington Cog RR - 4'8", down to one steam train daily - endangered.
Canobie Lake Park, Salem NH - 2' Crown Amusement Park train (propane fired.)
Essex Steam Train, Connecticut - Std. Gauge Steam.
Edaville USA, Carver MA - 2' Pseudo-Maine Narrow Gauge

Not much standard gauge, but each operation is unique and worth our patronage.
 #1288915  by The ViRoCo

The Conway Scenic operates a steam locomotive on a limited basis. The CSRR has a few special events where the steamer (7470) is used. Sadly, 7470 is due for a boiler inspection in January, and it will be out of service for about 2 years. The 2 events I may go to are Railfans' Weekend in September, and Mass Bay RRE's Steam in the Snow in January. (Steam in the Snow will be announced in a couple months.)
 #1288929  by Reader#108

Why is it "sadly" that 7470 is due for its boiler?

How about: "THANKFULLY, a railroad has decided to do a refurbishment of a boiler instead of stuffing and mounting."

It's pretty scary to read things over here these days. This site used to be informative and educational.

Now it is foamer central.

When you look at what is essentially a rebirth of steam in New England over the last 5 or so years, the negative connotation that goes along with threads
like this is disturbing.

Do we all know that Edaville is working on a 3rd steam?
Do we all realize that RMNE has a steam guest every year since they do not do Thomas anymore?
Do we all realize that the Cog is going to bring in a 3rd steam and refurb it next year for more steam operation?
Essex running 2 Mikados on a regular basis with 97 headed for the barn in the not too distant future?
CSRR doing a rebuild on 7470?
How about what NE Steam is attempting with the 470?
The 470 Club is working on finishing off the 501 to full static restoration......not operational (yet) but it's a start.

As with any of these things........they cost money.
So instead of posting "Oh woe is me no steam" threads.

Plunk down a 20 at your favorite railroad and take a ride.
 #1288930  by TrainManTy

Reader#108 wrote:Why is it "sadly" that 7470 is due for its boiler?

How about: "THANKFULLY, a railroad has decided to do a refurbishment of a boiler instead of stuffing and mounting."

It's pretty scary to read things over here these days. This site used to be informative and educational.

Now it is foamer central.

When you look at what is essentially a rebirth of steam in New England over the last 5 or so years, the negative connotation that goes along with threads
like this is disturbing.

Do we all know that Edaville is working on a 3rd steam?
Do we all realize that RMNE has a steam guest every year since they do not do Thomas anymore?
Do we all realize that the Cog is going to bring in a 3rd steam and refurb it next year for more steam operation?
Essex running 2 Mikados on a regular basis with 97 headed for the barn in the not too distant future?
CSRR doing a rebuild on 7470?
How about what NE Steam is attempting with the 470?
The 470 Club is working on finishing off the 501 to full static restoration......not operational (yet) but it's a start.

As with any of these things........they cost money.
So instead of posting "Oh woe is me no steam" threads.

Well said, sir.
 #1288931  by Reader#108

ALSO:

New England is not the only place to see steam.....

Take the 6 hour ride down to Black River and Western for a morning run with 60

Then go across the river (12 miles) to the New Hope and Ivy and hit 40

Then take a ride over to the Bel Del and ride behind 142

If you plan it right, you can see all 3 in one day. I did it last fall.
 #1288944  by elecuyer

Reader#108 wrote: Do we all know that Edaville is working on a 3rd steam?
No - Please provide details.
This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Last I knew, they were down to one serviceable steamer and that when it was in need of repair (or the coal pile was gone, whichever came first) that would be the end of steam on Mt. Washington. Details please?

I'll add WW&F #9 to the list of "coming soon" engines - maybe early 2015? And Monson 4 and/or B&SR #7 are both in rebuild.

Amen
 #1288986  by Cosmo

Add Monson #3 (SRRP, Philips, ME) to that list as well, tho I'm not certain how soon.
 #1289038  by Reader#108

The Cog currently has 2 serviceable steam locos....#2 and #9. They alternate between service schedules.

I was told by a friend who works there that there is a plan in place to bring 10 in and do a total refurb.

There is a Thomas/Percy/James hybrid that is being built for Thomasland at Boothbay.

How about the propane run trains at both Santa's ad Story Land. There is also a small one at Queechee Village in VT.

There is plenty to do folks and all places hold cost effective and well worth it events.

The Narrow Gauge ones won't be complete I would guess until the move to Gray.

Pete is right about Sandy River......
 #1289051  by Cosmo

There is a Thomas/Percy/James hybrid that is being built for Thomasland at Boothbay.
I think you meant EDAville, as AFAIK, there's no "Thomasland" planned for Boothbay. ;)

Also, since we're not picky on gauge or scale, there are SEVERAL "Live-steamer" clubs in NE that are open to the public. The one that comes to mind at first for me is Washakum Live Steamers in Holiston, MA.
There is also the Pioneer Valley club near the CT/MA border in MA.
 #1289098  by markhb

I think he meant that Boothbay is building that engine for Thomasland. I don't have first hand information, though, so my interpretation could be wrong.
 #1289152  by Cosmo

markhb wrote:I think he meant that Boothbay is building that engine for Thomasland. I don't have first hand information, though, so my interpretation could be wrong.
OH! Good point. Quite right, new steam for Edaville/Thomasland would be built by Boothbay.
 #1289453  by elecuyer

I mixed up Monson 3 and 4 - my apologies. I can never seem to get them straight. The point is one is coming online soon, we hope.

Last I knew, Storyland uses a collection of Chance CP Huntington - "Steam Outline" engines (looks like a steam engine, but has some other power source.) I don't know about the other parks - but it is fairly uncommon to see a steam-powered park train in 2014 - which is why I included Canobie's on my list.

I excluded the "Live Steam" hobby. There are easily hundreds of 7.25" (and smaller) steam engines in the hands of local enthusiasts.
 #1289744  by boatsmate

Lets not forget that the Naugy has the 103 that used to be at The VRR and last I heard was it on their long range plans. as for the 97, Don't look for that to be brought in for a while. funding for that engine is going to take a while.