Railroad Forums 

• Steam Engine on Boonton Line Last night!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#122333  by TrainBill

I thought I was dreaming. I was in bed a sleep at 1:00 AM. In my dream I heard this steam engine whistle go off very loudly. (I live in Mt lakes and my house is very close to Boonton line) I then woke up and heard the whistle again and then this steam sound. It seemed that it was paused for a minute at Mt lakes station. Then I heard it pull out with all the steam noise + other diesel and other car noises. I thought I was dreaming. Barbara woke up too. I said I thought it was dream, that I heard a steam engine. She said it was not a dream, that the whistle woke her up too and it was a steam engine. This morning I ask her again was this a dream. No it was a steam engine. Where it was going and why I'll have to find out.

Train Bill
 #122350  by Butlershops

That was the former NYSW 142, now owned and operated by the NYSW Technical & Historical Society. It was being towed to Phillipsburg where it will be used for excursion service on the Bel-Del Railroad this summer.

#122352  by njt4172

I had to get up at 6:00 a.m. for work this morning and on my way to work I found it sitting idle over at East Dover yard....It wasn't under steam, but apparently the H0-2 is going to tow it down to P'burg sometime today....It has a nice new red number plate on the nose... :-) :-D

Steve

#122590  by BlockLine_4111

Bring back 614, 142 is did-a-ly squat.

#122725  by trainwayne

"BRING BACK 614-142 IS DID-LY SQUAT"

Maybe.....if the NYS&W T&HS needed a locomotive to pull 12 cars on a 150 mile round trip, the 614 would be the engine of choice....HOWEVER, since they're running an operation that proposes to actually break even or even make a few dollars, the 142 is the perfect engine for the job. I'm guessing that the reason the 614 sat in the NJT Kearny maintenence yard for 2 or 3 years after the Port Jervis trips is because they made such a lot of $$$ :wink: .......Big engines need big $$$ to run, and the averge family budget doesn't have the room for a $500 family outing...... let's let EVERYONE get a chance to see and ride behind a real steam engine like the 142.

#122812  by njt5140

trainwayne wrote:"BRING BACK 614-142 IS DID-LY SQUAT"

Maybe.....if the NYS&W T&HS needed a locomotive to pull 12 cars on a 150 mile round trip, the 614 would be the engine of choice....HOWEVER, since they're running an operation that proposes to actually break even or even make a few dollars, the 142 is the perfect engine for the job. I'm guessing that the reason the 614 sat in the NJT Kearny maintenence yard for 2 or 3 years after the Port Jervis trips is because they made such a lot of $$$ :wink: .......Big engines need big $$$ to run, and the averge family budget doesn't have the room for a $500 family outing...... let's let EVERYONE get a chance to see and ride behind a real steam engine like the 142.
Well said!!

#122824  by sullivan1985

trainwayne wrote:"BRING BACK 614-142 IS DID-LY SQUAT"

Where is she now? Rotting away in PA again?

#123146  by BlockLine_4111

The 614 is an All American icon, IMO. Does not need diesel assistance on excursions like the #142, Bring back the 614 and sideline the #142 for a display.

#123228  by njt5140

Yeah, but it all matters to look where 614 is now, and look at where the 142 is now. The T&HS takes good care of 142 and the equipment they run. You can't compare the two side to side, their both for different purposes, 614 being built for main line service and heavy coal drags, meanwhile 142 being built for short freights on a branchline. To be honest, I like both of them.

#123306  by BlockLine_4111

Good points, I'd rather see the #142 run w/shorter consists and not use diesel help. Also have it run around the consist and pull it too.

#123314  by trainwayne

Actually, there's an article in the May issue of Trains that gives a very good explanation of the economics and pitfalls of running excursion/museum steam locomotives. While I too enjoy seeing an engine like the 614 pulling a long train on a well maintained main line at the speeds it was built to run, there just aren't enough opportuniies for that to happen.

#123527  by njt5140

#123532  by pumpers

for the transfer move on the M&E and Washignton secondary, is there
any real reason 142 really had to be under steam. Can't the diesel just pull it,
or is it some issue with the air pressure source for the brakes, etc. If
the 142 wasn't connected to the air on the diesel, how could the braking
be controlled from the lead diesel unit?

(once in phillispsburg, I know they went to easton, reversed over the
L&HR bridge, and the diesel went back, so the 142 had to pull
the consist on its own down to the Bel-Del, but my question refers to
the actual transfer itself)