Railroad Forums 

• Steam Engine on Boonton Line Last night!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#123673  by nick11a

Cool shots there 5140!

#123694  by sullivan1985

I rememeber that run with the 614 and the 142. I thought I was seeing/hearing double... and I was! I think that was also the run that they installed the hooter whistle on the 614.

#124124  by njt5140

nick11a wrote:Cool shots there 5140!
Thank you, I aim to please!
 #124175  by steemtrayn

pumpers wrote:for the transfer move on the M&E and Washignton secondary, is there
any real reason 142 really had to be under steam. Can't the diesel just pull it,
or is it some issue with the air pressure source for the brakes, etc. If
the 142 wasn't connected to the air on the diesel, how could the braking
be controlled from the lead diesel unit?

(once in phillispsburg, I know they went to easton, reversed over the
L&HR bridge, and the diesel went back, so the 142 had to pull
the consist on its own down to the Bel-Del, but my question refers to
the actual transfer itself)
The cylinders of a cold steam engine would not be properly lubricated, and the running gear would have to be partially dismantled to allow movement.

#124186  by james1787

Why use the diesel at all then to help move if it has to be under steam.. so let the locomotive move itself... that's what it's built for, right?

#124204  by njt5140

james1787 wrote:Why use the diesel at all then to help move if it has to be under steam.. so let the locomotive move itself... that's what it's built for, right?
The diesel was there for protection in case something happened, in addition it saved extra on coal and water from being burned up too quick.

#124274  by washingtonsecondary

That, and I'm pretty sure that NS doesn't want live steam running alone on their lines.

#124290  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:That, and I'm pretty sure that NS doesn't want live steam running alone on their lines.

There are soo many factors as to why the steam engine can't run by itself......Another would be that it lacks cab signals for running on NJT.....

#124327  by james1787

Ahh, yes I didn't think about some of those reasons..

Not to mention that the lines aren't quite equipped to handle steam engines anymore. No more water towers, etc...

Thanks for the clarificaitons!
 #124437  by Lackawanna484

pumpers wrote:for the transfer move on the M&E and Washignton secondary, is there
any real reason 142 really had to be under steam. Can't the diesel just pull it,
or is it some issue with the air pressure source for the brakes, etc. If
the 142 wasn't connected to the air on the diesel, how could the braking
be controlled from the lead diesel unit?

(once in phillispsburg, I know they went to easton, reversed over the
L&HR bridge, and the diesel went back, so the 142 had to pull
the consist on its own down to the Bel-Del, but my question refers to
the actual transfer itself)
I "chased" the 142 on a ferry move from Little Ferry to Bingo a few years ago. One of the B40-8 units was the pilot engine. No other cars. As I understand the process, it's easier to have the engine under steam when they move it. That way the oil pumps, lube system, etc function properly. If they were moving it dead in tow, speed would be limited and they'd have to disconnect the rods.

On that trip, the Warwick Fire Dept met the steamer and topped off its water tank. Took about ten minutes. Lots of school kids came down to see the engine.

Speed was about 35 mph, and they whistled every crossing. After a while, the engineer whistled every time he saw me, too.