Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1222945  by Fan Railer

An interesting study released back in May of 2013. I'm surprised this isn't getting more publicity (hence the "stealth" in the thread title). I haven't seen threads about this at all on this forum. There are some pretty interesting proposals in here concerning Amtrak, NJT (commuter and light rail), and the NYC Subway (extending the L and the 7, making way for an 11th avenue line, the 8 train). What do you guys think?
http://www.realtransit.org/hudsonterminalplan.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1223101  by Kamen Rider

There are ideas listed there that are not only impracitle, but againts the rules. They are basing thier whole argument on logical failicy after logical failicy. Of course hoboken is so big, it was built as a mainline intercity terminal, and it's no longer needed as such.

you can't run the HBLR on the same tracks as NJT mainline trains, the FRA would go thermo-nuclear...

They would need fully replace the NJT diesel fleet, by ether electrifying the entire ex-Erie division, or making every NJT locomotive a dual mode. This is not something thier budget seems to have considered, and would be very expensive.

3.3% grade? what are we building here, a rack railway?

how deep can thier new hoboken staion get before it plows head long into the PATH tunnels?

The station would be flooded all to often (where were these nitwits when Sandy hit?)

this "8" train they propose won't work, Corona has no space to expand, aside from the fact that it's TPH, in this case standing for "Train per hour" would be limted by heavy 7 traffic, unless these lunitics are actually proposing cutting Flushing line service.

I would rather a deep basement futher inland, near places people would actually want to go.