Railroad Forums 

• Status of M420TR # 27

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#383239  by Alcoman

Anyone know what the status is on the M420TR # 27 that is supposed to be shipped out of Jamesville, NY for Utica?

#384119  by BrianM

What is the status of this unit? The SRNJ was interested in purchasing this unit for the last 2 years.

Brian

#384216  by pablo

I believe this unit was for sale for some time. I'd be interested to know just how "interested" the SRNJ was.

David Becker

#384272  by Alcoman

It was my understanding that the M420TR was NOT for sale, but avaliable for lease.
The last I heard, it was going to the Adirondack Scenic for long term lease.
It was being prepped last Fall for shipping but waiting for final inspection n order to be moved. I am looking for an update on this.

#384860  by BrianM

pablo wrote:I believe this unit was for sale for some time. I'd be interested to know just how "interested" the SRNJ was.

David Becker

Cash in hand ready to pay interested.

Brian

#384955  by pablo

Brian, I know that this unit was shopped around quite a bit some time ago. There has to be more to the story if it is only now going to Utica, and if there was cash in hand, I'm not sure why it didn't go south to New Jersey.

David Becker

#385302  by BrianM

pablo wrote:Brian, I know that this unit was shopped around quite a bit some time ago. There has to be more to the story if it is only now going to Utica, and if there was cash in hand, I'm not sure why it didn't go south to New Jersey.

David Becker

Well, here is the story...

Started looking for a C420, M420 or a M420TR.
Find out about a M420TR sitting in NY.
Talk with a few people and am told the unit is for sale.
Contact person that "is in the know" and was told unit is not for sale but for lease.
Do not want a lease, want a sale. Cash in hand.
Was told, let me me double check.
No, owner only wanted to lease.
backed off.
a couple of months later, about 3, am told unit is now for sale.
Inquire again.
Am told, not for sale.
Told to stay away becaause the unit is now in a legal battle.
Find out a week later that the unit was sold.
Later made deal to buy another M420 with funds for the M420TR.

Brian

#385341  by 2spot

Hey, Brian.
Which M420W did SRNJ buy instead? I wasn't aware of any complete units for sale anywhere. Any pix on your site?

#385620  by pablo

OK, Brian, that's the sort of thing I was talking about. Please understand that I didn't think the SRNJ had the cash and ran away. In fact, there was somethign else that happened, though I haven't heard enough about the legal problems to know quite what's up. I knew about those, but when you said the SRNJ had cash in hand, I thought those had been resolved.

I do apologize if you think I was saying you were wrong, per se. I was not, and it's my fault if you think I was.

Dave Becker

#386022  by BrianM

pablo,

Yes, this was before the legal battle was over. Now, if the unit was being shopped around for sale, to the best of my knowledge, the SRNJ was not contacted. I do know that the SRNJ is still interested an M420TR.

2spot,

The SRNJ picked up the 3517. This unit is now 803. There are plenty of pictures, with more to come, of all of the ALCO/MLW units on the web site.

Brian

#386166  by 2spot

Brian, thank you.
I like the new paint scheme. Much better than SLQs.

I take it RS 26 was scrapped? I couldn't find any information.

#386168  by Alcoman

R&S # 26 was sold to a shortline in Quebec.

#386173  by MEC407

Speaking of SRNJ, any word on the status of the U18B?

#386536  by BrianM

I was just informed they just finished having some work done on her and she will be used on today's interchange run.

Brian

#386576  by MEC407

Does that mean it's back in NJ? I heard it went to the Pickens RR for some work. Do you know what was done to it?