Railroad Forums 

• Status of grant-funded track work in Maine?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1569080  by pnolette

So this is Year 2 of PAR getting the Grants to do trackwork from Royal to Keag.So far nothing has been done.Nothing has been laid out yet this spring either.Isn't there usually a time frame on when the money must be used or the project gets done? Unless everything is on hold because of the CSX deal?
 #1569084  by Rockingham Racer

What with Amtrak wanting to add service in New England, and upgraded track though Northern Maine, it won't be long before we see the return of The Gull.
 #1569092  by Safetee

That was a you match it federal grant that i would assume that pan ma engineering put together and applied for without foreknowledge of timmys desire to sell the shooting match in 2020. i'm sure the word from above is now, going forward if csx wants to match it, then bless their hearts.
 #1569129  by CN9634

I’m told the grant $$ was slow to be released by the previous administration but it’s still a go. There have been numerous ballast trains using DJ-1 crews including one today with 13 loaded ballast cars working in the Winthrop/Readfield area. It’s a bit early yet for a Class II, you could see things heat up next month or June
 #1575528  by BM6569

Not sure any track work is happening now in D1 (saw photos the other day of ballast work in Portsmouth) but in the CSX application, they say that have an agreement in place with MeDOT to complete the 2 grant projects should the purchase go through
 #1575612  by CN9634

Not sure how the priority of things goes but there is a track crew working up around Newport and I’m told (unconfirmed firsthand) another crew working up east on the Keag line somewhere.

Who really knows other than next year I’m sure a CSX blitz gang will make a visit.
I’m told several rail trains coming next year too, curious if it’ll be relay and what weight.
 #1575697  by BM6569

Those rail trains are in addition to the rail trains that will be coming for the grant work, right?
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1575852  by BM6569

The CSX application says the grants that have been awarded consist of 75 track miles of CWR. I know the grant for west of Waterville in D1 included a bunch of CWR
 #1578643  by CPF66

The tie crew has so far worked between Enfield and Pittsfield in sections. NBM did Keag to Enfield last November and December. Pan Am has also been running a surfacing crew to reshape the current ballast, as well as spreading new ballast between Shaw Brook and Hermon Pond. MOW has also pretty much removed what is left of the 3 oos tracks which paralleled Route 2 from Coldbrook Rd to the cross over.
 #1578667  by roberttosh

Have they started replacing any rail up that way? Thinking there's still a lot of 90 lbs sections North of Bangor/Old Town. Also, is Pan Am running up to Keag again or is all NBSR/MNR traffic still moving via CP at Northern Maine Jct? Thanks.
 #1578669  by CPF66

Not yet, I have heard rumors of a CWR drop this winter, and I know Herzog has been up here the past few weeks with a highrailer and a rail scanning truck, which has been primarily working the Bangor-Old Town section which has sections of CWR. Currently they are still interchanging at NMJ, but should be going back to Keag this fall. They were supposed to start last December, but the tie crew was unable to finish due to the onset of winter.