Railroad Forums 

• State of Maine RFP for Operator of Former MMA Track

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#883514  by BigLou80

So some one help me understand.
MMA currently owns the line and wants to sell it to the state of Maine. If MMA doesn't want to operate or even own the line why in the world do they think some other operator would ? am I missing something ?
 #883528  by Sir Ray

BigLou80 wrote:So some one help me understand.
MMA currently owns the line and wants to sell it to the state of Maine. If MMA doesn't want to operate or even own the line why in the world do they think some other operator would ? am I missing something ?
I believe the line has already been conveyed by MMA to the state of Maine (hence their RFP for operators of the line). In any case the sale was completed a month or so back.
Now, check the the MMA To Abandon..." for all sorts of theories on what was going on.
 #884942  by CPF363

Not sure you will see CP get back into Maine. CP could have purchased the entire system from Iron Road Railways when it was bankrupt in 2003 . Does anyone know what Rail World paid initially for the entire system in 2003?
 #884960  by ferroequinarchaeologist

from Railway Track and Structures news

STB completes efforts involving MMA abandonment

The Surface Transportation Board today completed its work in the multiparty effort to preserve freight train service in northern Maine. After months of STB-led mediation and extensive involvement of federal, state, and local officials, Maine businesses and workers, the Board formally approved the request of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway to abandon 233 miles of rail line in Aroostook and Penobscot counties. The action will pave the way for the state of Maine to acquire the line and find a third-party operator to serve rail customers in Northern Maine. Meanwhile, MM&A is continuing to operation [sic] the line.
 #891379  by oibu

"I think you'll see a bigger operator (i.e. PAR, CN, G&W, CP) come into the fold and really turn things around up here."

I don't really care who it is as long as it's someone actually interested in and capable of running railroad. And I hope that Railworld's games don't continue to hamper/erode/destroy their efforts. It will be interesting to see what happens next where Railworld is concerned... I'm not sure I see them keeping the rest of the system long term, unless by letting someone else do all the work while they still reap the overhead rewards they are satisfied to continue their lame duck management of MMA.
 #891570  by Highball

I understand the deadline for bids for a new operator closes Thursday, Jan 19th. My bet is with the Irving Corp., which owns New Brunswick Southern / Eastern Maine Railway......St. John N.B. - Brownville Jct. They have extensive woodland holdings in Northern Maine.
 #892817  by Engineer Spike

Who says that the MMA will not operate the line? It might work out like the lines which the B&M sold to the T. In this way, the lines are subsidized by the state, yet still part of a line haul carrier, connecting to more points. This would eliminate the tax burden, and may help subsidize the maintenance, and even the operation.
 #901625  by carchecker

According to the Maine DOT there are five bids for the operation of the line. They include Eastern Maine Railway (NBSR), Rail America, Springfield Terminal, and two groups I've never heard of...Myles Group and Patriot Rail. Can anyone give any insight as to who/what these final two groups may be?