Railroad Forums 

• Starucca Viaduct?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1178060  by Snowmojoe

Does the Susquehanna still run trains over the Starucca Viaduct? I have seen some videos on YouTube of NYS&W trains on the Starucca but this was all back in like 2005/6 and earlier when they were still handling container traffic.
 #1178073  by cjvrr

Yes they do. The trains that come to and from New Jersey and either originate or terminate in Binghamton, NY. Those trains travel over the viaduct. So at least three pairs of trains per week. But these run most times at night.
 #1178125  by Snowmojoe

My family owns some property up that way, and I have been up on the viaduct itself (well, not ON the viaduct, but I mean in the places where the guy was taking his videos from). I honestly thought it had been abandoned b/c in 30-odd years of passing through there I had never seen a train on it. And then of course the day I went up there, and train came through and shocked the hell out of me, but my memory tells me it was a CSX freight.

Anyway, I guess maybe one of these days I'm up there again, I'll drive up on a day I can expect the SU99 and see if I can get some photos of the Susie-Q on the viaduct. It's a great place for photography (that was why I went up there in the 1st place).
 #1178167  by charlie6017

Snowmojoe wrote:My family owns some property up that way, and I have been up on the viaduct itself (well, not ON the viaduct, but I mean in the places where the guy was taking his videos from). I honestly thought it had been abandoned b/c in 30-odd years of passing through there I had never seen a train on it. And then of course the day I went up there, and train came through and shocked the hell out of me, but my memory tells me it was a CSX freight.

Anyway, I guess maybe one of these days I'm up there again, I'll drive up on a day I can expect the SU99 and see if I can get some photos of the Susie-Q on the viaduct. It's a great place for photography (that was why I went up there in the 1st place).
There's a chance it could have been a detoured CSX freight. There have been times in fairly recent history
that CSX has run down the NYSW branch from Syracuse to Binghamton and over the Southern-Tier line to
Campbell Hall and then to Little Ferry, NJ. This was done when CSX was doing heavy track work on the
River Line or in case of a big derailment.

Charlie