Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #648977  by chelbe00

Does anyone have details of the Pennsylvania interlocking in Stanley NY. Apparently there was a block station there for Leigh Valley and NYC which crossed the tracks. Was there a control tower there?
 #649163  by TB Diamond

Stanley (PRR Elmira branch x'ed LVRR Naples branch) had a manual interlocking controlled from a tower constructed of wood which was located at the southwest quardrant of the diamond. The NYC was not involved in any way at Stanley. The tower remained in use until 1966 or 1967 (don't have my reference files with me at present) when it was replaced by a train crew-operated grade crossing signal system. The tower stood, abandoned, as late as April, 1968, but was demolished shortly thereafter.
 #649233  by RSD15

I believe Stanley was a LV tower with the call "YN".
the PRR also split there with lines to Canandaigua and Sodus Point.

charles
 #649377  by chelbe00

Thanks. Any idea where I can find a pic of the tower? Or one that looked similar, as I am trying to model that area.
 #649922  by TB Diamond

Believe that there is a photo or two of the tower in a back issue of FD&S that featured an article on the LVRR Naples branch. Calarosso's Elmira Branch book may also include a photo of the tower. Do not have my library at hand, else could confrm for you.
 #652856  by TB Diamond

Stanley tower shown oos 05 January 1966 per PRR Central Region G.O. No. 304.

Two photos of the tower in FD&S V5 No.4.
 #749674  by K4Pacific

Hi everyone.

I'm going to visit an old friend who is in a skilled nursing facility at Arnot Ogden Medical Center in Elmira. He is 88 yol Stan Oparil, Jr. If you recall, he was in the Calaroso Elmira Branch book. We rode together for many years on the "Elmira Branch" PC Watkins Secondary. His wife says he'll love to talk railroading. So I propose this:

Please give me your questions regarding anything about the Elmira Branch on this thread and I will ask him and get answers back to you. He ran steam from 1945 after WW2 right until the end in 57 and the busiest times too. He ran both ends of the line. Also worked out of Harrisburg when seniority bumped him. He retired in the early 1980s. So ask away. Ask away all.
 #749748  by TB Diamond

K4P:

Very glad to hear the news about Mr. Oparil, Jr. Was fortunate to have had a few cab rides with him on EC-15 back in the 1970s. He is one of the best.