Railroad Forums 

• St. Regis Paper location help please

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1454394  by tree68

You can pick out most of the rail lines in the satellite images. When you arrive in Deferiet off NYS 3, you're greeted with the embankment that held the tail track.

The Geep that ran there, probably in the final days of the mill, is in Utica at the moment, having found a new life as Adirondack & St Lawrence 6076 on the Adirondack Scenic. It is privately owned.
 #1454411  by BR&P

Which one had a Geep and an RS-1? Had a meeting there one time many years ago about taking over in-plant switching. After consideration we decided not to put in a proposal. Somewhere I believe I still have a map of all the in-plant trackage.
 #1454414  by nydepot

That was Deferiet.

BR&P wrote:Which one had a Geep and an RS-1? Had a meeting there one time many years ago about taking over in-plant switching. After consideration we decided not to put in a proposal. Somewhere I believe I still have a map of all the in-plant trackage.
 #1454415  by BR&P

Thanks Charles.

That place had one of my two all-time favorite track names. Stuff like "Runaround", "Hill Track", and so on are routine, but occasionally there was a track which really stuck in your memory.

If I remember the story right, that plant was going to put in an additional spur or siding somewhere. The rail crews and workers wanted it in one place, but the bigwigs insisted it be put in another place, where it essentially accomplished nothing. In no time flat, and forever afterward as far as I know, that was identified as "The Useless Track". :P

(My other all-time favorite was in the yard at Warren PA, where they had one known as The Rickety Track).
 #1454487  by TB Diamond

St. Regis Paper utilized a chop nose Alco RS1 as well as a GE 44t.

Champion International Corp. succeeded St. Regis at Deferiet and utilized a EMD GP9 No. 7249 painted light blue with yellow hand rails plus black frame and running gear. Spotted the unit at the plant on October 10, 1986.

Climax Paperboard was situated in West Carthage. This firm had on its property a GE 25t.