Railroad Forums 

• ST Paper mill question

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#181379  by roberttosh

Just as a matter of curiousity, was wondering if anyone knows how many cars a day are handled at Lincoln Pulp & Paper, GP at Old Town and IP at Bucksport? Last I knew, LP&P just handled the occassional inbound car of chemicals, GP did the occossional car of chemicals as well as about 5-6 Pulp cars outbound a day and IP did 15 or so outbound paper loads and 3-4 inbound Clay/Starch a day. Thanks!

#181415  by Ejen34

I do not know about GP as they move too late for me to be around, I hear them move around 1 am or so, you are right on about IP they are more irratic but always during the day (late afternoon).

#182644  by mick

I have noticed the absence of any SANDERSVILLE
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

#182666  by Ejen34

mick wrote:I have noticed the absence of any SANDERSVILLE clay hoppers in any of Guilford's trains or yards for the past few months. I believe they used to go to Bucksport. Maybe they switched to a different type of clay, or stopped getting it by rail?
I have also, tho there are some parked in Brewer, they have not moved in a very long time.....

#182696  by roberttosh

IP at Bucksport, like alot of other mills in Maine, has switched over much of its Kaolin supply to import product from Brazil. I believe it comes into Searsport by vessel then moves to IP by truck. Sprague at S Portland also brings in Brazilian clay. The days when you'd see a 30-40 car slug of Clay cars heading into Rigby from the West are sadly over.

#183539  by Cowford

Mr Tosh refers to a big problem... the domestic clay industry has gone to hell since Brazil started exporting clay... rail car companies would love to hear from you if you can come up with a great new use for clay slurry cars!

#184330  by JBlaisdell

Bucksport is just up the river from Searsport- you'd think the ships would just go directly there! I know big oil tankers do...

#184368  by roberttosh

There needs to be big storage tanks that Bucksport doesn't apparently have.