Railroad Forums 

• St. Louis

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#29670  by MR77100

St. Louis is the third largest railroad center in the United States. Where are the best train-watching locations located and how accessible are they?

#29937  by Railpac

Psssssst, check out my website :D . . . . link in signature.

#30255  by zwsplac

Hey Railpac. Would you say the area around Lenox Tower is safe enough for me to stay the night there? I am coming east in August and am planning to depart after work on Friday, driving to StLouis, and camping out in my car by the tracks, hopefully at Lenox tower. I do it often here in Kansas, and no one seems to mind a bit.

#30897  by Railpac

Ya know . . .
I couldn't really say. I've never actually been to Lennox Tower, I assume its not a terribly bad neighborhood, I've been near it in Granite City, nice folk there, I'm sure you'd be better off finding a motel in GC. Then you could just head over to Lennox Tower from there. Email my buddy James at [email protected] he should be able to awnser your question better.

#32169  by 7 Train

Keeping on topic about St. Louis, here's a question:

Where is the site of the St. Louis Car Co. plant? I was wondering about this as they built many good cars for the NYC Subway like the R33 ML, R36 World's Fair, R40 Slant, R42, as well as the Arrow I for the Penn Central as well PCC's before closing in 1974.
 #33113  by Whitman Green

If anything remains of the old St. Louis Car Company complex, it is located in the 7900 block of Hall Street on the east side of the road. Hall Street parallels the river north of downtown and may be reached by taking I-70 to Adelaide Ave (exit 246) which dead-ends into Hall St. Head north and when you cross some tracks you have found it. The tracks, incidentally, went into Katy's Baden Yard.