Railroad Forums 

• St. Louis Car Company passenger car models in HO?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1115306  by green_elite_cab

Hey guys,

I've noticed an obvious domination of Budd and Pullman passenger car models in HO, as well as quite a few ACFs. However, I notice not so many St. Louis Car company types. Obviously, resin kits of their MUs have been produced, but what about other cars? There do not appear to be a lot of models or parts for making them.

The US Army apparently had quite a few passenger cars as part of an "Ambulance" train at one point, half of which were sold to Amtrak in 1975. There were apparently a baggage car, kitchen car, a "personel" car, and six "ambulance" cars per trainset.

The Kitchen cars eventually became "shorty" baggage cars on Amtrak, and were also found in other uses (HEP generators, training cars, test cars, etc.) The Ambulance cars became Cafeteria Lounges.

There were a substantial number of these. As far as I can tell, only the Shorty baggage cars were made in HO, in the form of the Train Station Product kit. This kit is difficult to find.

The Cafeteria cars were also wide-spread, but I can't find a model of them either. No car sides, or the unique "ends" of these cars seem to be available.

Whats the story?