Railroad Forums 

• Spur/branch to Egypt Beach (Scituate)?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1464804  by BostonUrbEx

Location on Google Maps (Turn off 3D imagery to see it more clearly!): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2047099 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The junction between the Greenbush Branch and this mystery spur is between the former Egypt station and Scituate [Harbor] station. It clearly leads to an old industrial site, but then lines up on a trajectory for Egypt Beach. Newer housing development may have obliterated any traces beyond this point, if the spur did in fact continue to Egypt Beach.

If anyone knows any history on this, even just what the customer along it was, please share. :-)
 #1464812  by CSRR573

Interesting, my google earth overlay that has pretty much every rail line that has ever been in exsistince in the state, doest show it.
Attachments:
massrail.jpg
massrail.jpg (384.52 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
 #1464874  by trainsinmaine

I think I may have found it, but as I'm not very familiar with that territory I'm not sure. Go to the 1940 Scituate USGS topo maps, then check out the northwest quadrant (http://docs.unh.edu/MA/scit40nw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Just below 12'30" on the map, there is a clear depiction of what must have been a railroad right-of-way veering off the Old Colony toward the northeast. It crosses Satuit Brook and then goes up into the Hatherly Beach area. Is this what you're alluding to? I would guess it was a spur.
 #1464886  by neman2

Trainsinmaine you got it-

My wife grew up down the street from there on Tilden Road. The spur ran to the "Scituate Proving Grounds" a former post WW1 Army weapons testing area. Limited info online if you Google it.
 #1472815  by John Smythe

Contained within the " Lost Railroads of New England " book by Ronald Dale Karr the Greenbush Line continued South from Greenbush into Marshfield, Duxbury and on into Plymouth. From Plymouth another line continued on through North Carver and into Middleboro. Washouts at a spit that crossed Duxbury made a mess of the line. There was a old Old Colony Steam Locomotive that went off the trestle, became stuck in the mud & left there by the railroad, it was a small locomotive by today's standards. My neighbor worked for The NH RR & knew all about the location. The line South from Greenbush all the way to Middleboro was abandoned in 1939.