Railroad Forums 

• Spots to watch trains east and west of Syracuse?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1386908  by nydepot

I'm looking for suggestions on a good spot to sit and watch trains west of Syracuse to about Warners. Someplace to just sit and watch, get out to grab a photo, and not be hassled. I'll have my nephew with me.

I'd also like a suggestion of spots east of the city up to a few miles east of Dewitt Yard.

Lastly, are these still valid?

DEWITT YARD, SYRACUSE
freq AAR comments
160.860 [50] Primary Yard Frequency: East End Yardmaster
160.350 [16]
160.410 [20] (not confirmed)
160.770 [44] Car Dept
160.980 [64]
160.155 (not confirmed: odd freq. -- not AAR -- maybe just local noise)
160.680 [38] CSX (ex-CR) Police
160.800 [46] CSX (ex-CR) ND (ex-Mohawk) Dispatcher; NF (ex-Main Line) Dispatcher west of MP 293.50
161.070 [64] CSX (ex-CR) NE (ex-St. Lawrence) Dispatcher (for Montreal Secondary)

It's been a long time since I watched trains in the area. Thanks.

Charles
 #1386915  by FarmallBob

Charles - A couple safe, no hassle spots I visit occasionally with a grandchild who lives nearby:

1 - Minoa - The footbridge just east of the DeWitt yard. Ample parking on North Main St (north end of the footbridge).

2 - Saintsville Rd and North Kirkville Rd in Kirkville. Still 3 tracks here, and the Kirkville detector is just a couple hundred feet east of the crossing. Eastbound signals are easily read with binoculars. Plenty space of room to park (with good views both directions right from the car....) on the north-east quadrant of the crossing.

Current active frequencies:
160.800 road channel/detector
161.070 dispatch
457.837 end of train marker data link (you'll hear occasional random chirps, etc. when a train's within a couple miles).

Have fun!

Bob
 #1386979  by lehigh310

Charles, if you're willing to go about 1.5 miles west of Warners, the Bennetts Corners Road crossing in the hamlet of Memphis might be worth a look. I haven't actually been there, but I have scouted it out on Google Maps' Earth View and Street View. There's a small parking area on the south side of the tracks, probably for the Canalway Trail. Possible downsides: vegetation might make for tricky photography, and the nearest gas station (i.e. bathroom) appears to be about four miles south, at the intersection of Bennetts Corners and Route 5.

Anyone have any experience with this location?

-Aric
 #1386996  by lvrr325

Been a while but I've spent time at every possible location from Willis Ave. on west to around Port Byron and never was hassled. Most often I would go to Memphis, to Herman Road (Devoe Rd?) or Pottery Road. Or I liked Willis Ave. either down by the tracks or up above so I could work angles from the bridge, but that may be too involved when you're also watching a child.

You may also want to consider just using the Destiny USA mall parking lot on the Park Street side (by where the line comes in from the north). With a kid along you may want to consider having bathrooms and food close by. At the mall, you could go up to the food court and sit at tables in the window and still see trains if you want.