Railroad Forums 

• Speno in Syracuse

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1561992  by nydepot

What was the purpose of the building before Speno used it for their rail trains in East Syracuse? Was it industrial or rail related? Thanks.

Charles
 #1562023  by RSD15

It was a early NYC diesel shop built near the round house. I understand it was known as the square house.
 #1563340  by jbeckley68

I believe the old Speno was once the NYC Inspection building. (as far as I know, no NYC Diesels used the building)

Diesels were fueled, sanded down near the two humps and then in early 50's NYC built a diesel house on north side of yard.

(I have nice article somewhere that shows the wood used, etc to build the square house) dimensions, SQ feet
 #1563456  by jbeckley68

Yes, the building was obviously brick on outside. The inside had allot of wood beams, etc. I will dig that article out and see if I can scan it and post? When the building burned for many hours and was total loss, I bet along with the cardboard/paper stored in there by recycling company. The extensive wood inside also contributed..