Railroad Forums 

• Speed dating on a fast train

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#488689  by 3rdrail

We're way ahead of them ! That's been going on on the Orange Line for years !

#488697  by pennsy

Hi ThirdRAil,

Even further back than that. I used to take the PRR evening Congressional to Washington DC for business meetings the next day and return the following evening. Female companionship was NO problem. The bar car was THE place to go.

#488750  by pennsy

Hi David,

Now you know that I will never tell. I'll give you a hint, speed was never part of it. That was the GG-1's job.

#488769  by David Benton

Unfortunately , my romantic encounters on the rails have been very limited . and no doubt , my tendency to waffle on about technical details of trains , and the politics of funding them , would send any sensible woman running !

#488799  by 3rdrail

Alan -
Are you referring to the 4' - 8 1/2" Club ? (Not to be confused with the 30,000 feet club). :wink:

#488825  by pennsy

Hi Paul,

Nope. Most of the time you would meet them at the bar. Occasionally, you would make plans together to travel together. Quite loose. Never anything serious, but I have heard of those that met their spouses that way.

#488835  by 3rdrail

You know, actually it brings up a side line to this topic which I don't think is too far astray. I have always found that a long-distance train is a great place to meet people of both sexes in a relaxed, comfortable environment. I recall a particular Canadian VIA trip that I took whereby a bunch of total strangers commandeered the observation car into an all-night party. We all became friends and exchanged mail afterwards. I recall that this very discussion was had on that car that night, and the quote was made from one of the travelers that "people are friendlier and more relaxed on a train than they are on a plane as they're not worried that they're going to plunge 30,000 feet to their death at any moment".