Railroad Forums 

• SP switcher placement

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1491579  by MPX

I can remember seeing SP freights go by my home during my childhood in flatland south Texas during the early 80s with an SW1500 randomly placed towards the middle of the train. Does anyone know why SP did this, and was this done by any other railroads?
 #1512500  by mmi16

Most carriers had rules that required locomotives be moved in the leading engine consist - even if the locomotive had been sold and was being transported as 'revenue freight' across the railroad.

I suspect what you were seeing were the locomotives being transported 'as revenue freight' in a particular 'block' that the train was carrying so that the locomotive would arrive at its destination when the block of freight was set off at the destination of the block.