Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#855325  by scottychaos

malfunctjct wrote:I believe the west end of the siding is going to be where the double track currently ends; CP Waverly.
that would make sense..thanks!
woo hoo..Waverly keeps its double track! :)
this makes me very happy..

Scot
 #855333  by K4Pacific

CP-Waverly remains in effect. CP- Barton should be at the first crossing eastbound entering the hamlet or. Village.
 #855353  by Neo

I don't think this has been reported yet, but NS had the Hayes Ave crossing (in Endicott) closed yesterday *27th*; track 1's rails were removed and the crossing gate on the northside was moved closer to the remaining track (it's now positioned in the middle of where track 1 was). Watching the dismantling of this line is difficult to see.
 #855403  by scottychaos

Earlier this summer I stumbled upon a time warp..I never even knew it was there!
and looks like I caught it just in time.

The location: Goodrich Road crossing, One mile west of Owego, NY.

1870 - The Southern Central Railroad builds its single track line alongside the Erie's double track mainline.
1895 - the scene doesnt change much, but the SC is now part of the Lehigh Valley.
1960 - the scene doesnt change much, but the Erie is now the EL
1976 - the scene doesnt change much, but all three tracks are now Conrail.
1987 - the scene doesnt change much, but the single-track LV remnant is now Tioga Central.
1992 - the scene doesnt change much, but the single-track LV remnant is now Owego & Harford.
1999 - the scene doesnt change much, but the double track Southern Tier main is now Norfolk Southern.

August 2010, Scot finally stumbles across the location..basically unchanged, as far as the tracks are concerned, for 140 years.
(the scenery probably hasnt changed much either.)
where every common type of locomotive ever known has passed by..and many uncommon ones as well.
(From Civil War era 4-4-0's, to Erie 2-8-8-8-2's, to Lehigh Valley Alcos, to Phoebe Snow E-units, to D&H sharks,
to everything Conrail ever owned, to NS ES44AC's..amazing..)

Looking East down the LV Auburn division, toward Owego. (now an Owego & Harford Railroad spur)

Looking East down the Erie Railroad's double-track mainline. (now Norfolk Southern)

Looking West

The remnant of LV Auburn division track ends in those trees in the distance. there are some
freight cars stored down at the end of the line.

I dont think there is anywhere along the Southern tier main where you can find quite this kind of timeless scene,
(even Starrucca Viaduct is now single-tracked..)

But now, after 140 years, the scene is going to change a lot, and soon! :(
get out there with those cameras..

Scot
 #857468  by K4Pacific

Thank You Scot,

Here's a link to a great compilation of the current single tracking going on west of Binghamton:

http://www.trainweb.org/SVRHS/singletrack.html

Please join this Historical Society. They are one the more active ones out there with various museums.
 #857778  by SteelRail

One observation is that while it appears that track one is still intact aside from the crossings being removed, in reality the spikes have been pulled and the rails are only resting on the ties.
 #857782  by scottychaos

SteelRail wrote:One observation is that while it appears that track one is still intact aside from the crossings being removed, in reality the spikes have been pulled and the rails are only resting on the ties.
where and when?

Scot
 #857792  by SteelRail

scottychaos wrote:
SteelRail wrote:One observation is that while it appears that track one is still intact aside from the crossings being removed, in reality the spikes have been pulled and the rails are only resting on the ties.
where and when?

Scot
From Johnson City where the double tracks starts to at least the Tri-Cities Airport in Endicott. That's as much as I have confirmed. Last weekend, the MOW equipment was parked under Rte. 17C in Endicott, and I could see all the spikes pulled westward past milepost 224.
 #858953  by SteelRail

In my travels today, I noted that spikes have been removed as far west as Depot Street in Campville, NY. The MOW equipment is sitting on the old Track 1 between Depot Street and Kinney Road. In Owego, the Track 1 half of the crossover west of McMaster Street has been removed.
 #859783  by Neo

Looks like they have begun removing the rails of track 1 west of Johnson City; ties still in place, but rail gone almost up to Endwell. There is a crane set in the siding near Hayes Ave in Endicott.
 #859941  by Matt Langworthy

northjerseybuff wrote:Where is the southern tier dispatched from? Is it Harrisburg? And what exactly do the duties include? hudson sec? tier west of binghamton to??
Here are the answers to your questions: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 28&t=75745