Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #789392  by Flat-Wheeler

Anchorman wrote: with the upswing in the economy and the new Patriot Corridor traffic the single track project is off!!! Good news!!! The new signal system is still on so if all goes as planned we'll have 261 signals and upgraded double track.
The single track project between Waverly and Johnson (Binghamton) has had an emergency stop order to halt the project...in favor of a double track expansion project. Possibly double track re-installed all points West of the Route 400 highway overpass. 261 signals Waverly to Johnson. Currently there are 251 signals (in one direction).
 #849336  by SteelRail

Flat-Wheeler wrote:
Anchorman wrote: with the upswing in the economy and the new Patriot Corridor traffic the single track project is off!!! Good news!!! The new signal system is still on so if all goes as planned we'll have 261 signals and upgraded double track.
The single track project between Waverly and Johnson (Binghamton) has had an emergency stop order to halt the project...in favor of a double track expansion project. Possibly double track re-installed all points West of the Route 400 highway overpass. 261 signals Waverly to Johnson. Currently there are 251 signals (in one direction).
I'd suspect this to not be true anymore. Bi-diectional signals are set up, tested, and aimed along track 1 between Owego and Binghamton, and existing signals on both tracks are marked for removal. Furthermore, according the the newspaper, crossing work is lated for the end of September for the crossings that are in the sections that are going to be single tracked, but not those where there'll be sidings.
 #889113  by photorailfan

Can any one give me information as to how many trains run on the southern tier? I live in new jersey so i'm not familiar with western new york. I plan on railfanning the line this year. Also, i was reading about the problem with the portageville bridge. Is the line open or shut down due to this bridge.
 #889142  by malfunctjct

There are several road trains, west out of Binghamton is 23K, 205, 12T and 39T (CP Haulage train). 309 runs west from Corning. East out of Buffalo is 22k, 206, 13T, 38T and 310 (terminates at Corning). There is an H88 which runs from Elmira to Binghamton and back to Elmira. Plus numerous locals and coal trains. The line is open and it can be quite busy.

12T/13T work Corning and 13T works Binghamton (12T occasionaly does work at Binghamton as well).