Railroad Forums 

• Southern Pacific freight lines

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#56625  by cdash

How many cars could a typical (if there is such a thing) Southern Pacific freight train have going from Ga. to Fla. in the late 60s/early 70s? My grandfather worked one of those lines and I'm wondering how long those trains were. Thanks for your help!

#56984  by John_Perkowski

GEORGIA to FLORIDA????

My friend, you need to be in the SOUTHERN Railway forum, not Union Pacific and its antecedents (eg Southern Pacific)....

SP eastern terminus was IIRC New Orleans.

#79200  by The S.P. Caboose

The Southern Pacific would have had to hand off the train to a carrier that would have gone to that region. Living in California, along the coastline an average train would be about 70 cars with four or five units, along the San Joaquin Valley, once again about 70 cars. The trains that would come up from Long Beach to or thru West Colton the trains could be as long as 145 cars plus 4 or 5 units.

I hope this helps a little bit.

#79308  by AmtrakFan

What were the units concist?

John

#79410  by The S.P. Caboose

Mostly SD40's, SD45's, SD40T-2's and SD45T-2's; 3,000 and 3,600 horsepower stuff. Over the Bakersfield to Los Angeles area they had a lot of helpers usually 2/3s of the way back.

#79491  by SSW9389

Espee had a power pool with L&N back in the 1960s and 1970s. The pool shared power of both carriers through the New Orleans Gateway. Cotton Belt had a similar pool with L&N out of Memphis. These pools carried on with Seaboard System and now CSX.