Railroad Forums 

• Southern California Streetcars

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#246270  by pennsy

Hi All,

In Southern California there is OERM, the Orange Empire RR Museum. This museum has an excellent collection of streetcars, including the narrow gauge LARY streetcars. You can also find some Big Reds, the old Pacific Electric cars. You will also find a large loop of track and get to ride some of the old Huntington cars, Big Red Cars, and the old PCC's. On display is also an old trolley, streetcar, from Japan. Fares for riding these fine old streetcars are quite reasonable.

For the curious, there is also on display, a trolley hearse. Yup, in those days the trolley lines would take you right into the cemetery. There is a place for the casket, and honored guests, and the trolley would take these people and dear departed to the final resting place. Quite a sight.
 #246528  by TB Diamond

They also have one of the last ex-Bamberger, exx-FJ&G Brill Bullet lightweight interuban cars, no. 127. Partially restored last heard.

#246770  by pennsy

Hi TB,

You probably would also enjoy the ex-San Francisco articulated light rail vehicle on display there. I believe it is one of the original high speed trolleys. It is in three sections.
 #246859  by TB Diamond

You bet. Rode one of those car sets across the Oakland Bay Bridge in 1948, Key System if memory serves. My Dad and I were visiting my uncle who lived in San Leandro and we were off to see the sights in San Francisco.

#247131  by pennsy

Which reminds me. The Electric buses that are in San Francisco are also well represented at OERM. They have an interesting collection of electric buses, none of them operating however.