Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1124715  by Otto Vondrak

I'm trying to hash out some details for a story... I have read the first new cars purchased by NICTD arrived in 1982. I assume the old and new cars ran side by side for a while until all of the Nippon-Sharyo cars were accepted and put into service. When was the last Insull-era heavyweight retired? More importantly, anyone have photos of these cars serving side by side?

-otto-
 #1124768  by Otto Vondrak

justalurker66 wrote:September 25th, 1983 was the last run according to this thread here at Railroad.Net.
Thank you!

If you have photos of South Shore operations (present day or historic) you'd like me to consider for publication in this article, please contact email me directly at: otto at railfan.com

-otto-
 #1124982  by Tadman

Otto, any subjects in particular that you'd like pics of? CSS has a bit of a split personality so if you can steer us toward your topic or focus, we can probably help out. There's a small group here but probably about ten of us have a very deep knowledge of the railroad.