Railroad Forums 

• South of the US Border

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#92973  by woz

I was wondering if anyone might know how far south US freight cars can travel by rail (not barge) south of the border. I see on the BNSF website "Mexican Gateway’s" map that the Mexican railway system touches the southern border with Guatemala. Do US freight cars travel this far south in Mexico and beyond? Thanks in advance. Woz

#93465  by SRS125

back when we the public could track Fraght cars by just typeing in a reporting mark and a car number on BNSF in the mid 90's I tracked one
Burlington Northern Boxcar go as far south as Managua the Capital of Nicaragua. This was the only car I ever saw go that far south into Central America and come back.

#115455  by David Benton

SRS125 wrote:back when we the public could track Fraght cars by just typeing in a reporting mark and a car number on BNSF in the mid 90's I tracked one
Burlington Northern Boxcar go as far south as Managua the Capital of Nicaragua. This was the only car I ever saw go that far south into Central America and come back.
Unless thet changed the qauge , that is not possible .Standard gauge only goes as far as the southern Mexican border , in fact i think it may stop a 100 miles or so before that .

#115474  by SRS125

We'll Its hard to prove this now with out proveing to be a coustumer now. I did print this one out and have sents then lost the print out to prove that a Burlington Northern Boxcar Car went to Nicaragua but it rilly did happen.

#115556  by SRS125

well that is possable for one to move one by a car barge or cargo ship there and back. I know that there are nomore rail barges left outher than whats going from Washington to Alaska and back.