Railroad Forums 

• South Korea

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#8976  by Gilbert B Norman

From Today's New York Times, it appears that the South Koreans are entering the HSR Club in a big way:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/02/busin ... train.html

"Meanwhile, back in the States":

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/02/business/02auto.html

Any guess of "what price gas" will make us Americans "think twice" and/or look for alternative transport?

$3/ga, $4, do I hear $5???

#9300  by Irish Chieftain

Well...with the Infinity-controlled news radio stations blasting the big headline about SUV sales being up despite constantly rising gas prices, I would say that it would take a drastic drop in personal income before things start to turn around in that particular arena. The other arena, airline ticket prices, would have to be seriously affected before any thought towards investment in HSR in the USA becomes concrete...

#9355  by Irish Chieftain

Yes...those of us calling for HSR and expanded passenger rail, that is.

#9365  by David Benton

Of course , sorry , preaching to the converted on here i guess .
But ho w about the general population ?
 #9477  by Gilbert B Norman

Both the airlines and Amtrak, amongst many other industries, use the commodity futures markets for their intended purposes - to "lock in" the price of certain factors of production essential to their product.

Even a Labor Agreement can be construed as a futures contract of sorts.

Nevertheless, a futures contract is not forever, and those that have enabled each industry to obtain fuel presently at prices far below the prevailing market ("spot', talking traderese) will run out, either by expiration or by units of measure purchased.

Then folks, it will be a "watch out" for both air and rail fares.

#9492  by XRails

David Benton wrote:Of course , sorry , preaching to the converted on here i guess .
But how about the general population ?
The general population has been told by its government that global warming doesn't exist, and regards anyone who believes it as a hippie tree-hugging whacko. Nevermind that rising global temperatures directly correspond with rising CO2 emissions. Nevermind that just about everyone who actually studies this stuff and has a brain agrees it's real. Unfortunately, fixing the problem takes money, and until the government does something about it (hsr and expanded passenger rail service is a great start), that money won't be spent.

#9988  by David Benton

so will there be any thoguht of all put to rail during the election campaign . Are rail groups trying to make it an issue ?

#10053  by Irish Chieftain

Rail groups in the USA do not have the size nor money-backing that pro-auto and pro-oil lobbies do; although just about every state has one, plus there is NARP. If you want a general idea of the current climate, consider Norman Mineta's recent call for "reforms" within Amtrak, despite David Gunn's streamlining of that company plus the still-growing passenger base. I don't see John Kerry, if he gets in, being friendlier in general. The pols are generally whores to the richest special interests, sad to say.

#10367  by hsr_fan

Irish Chieftain wrote:Rail groups in the USA do not have the size nor money-backing that pro-auto and pro-oil lobbies do
Well, passenger rail, anyway. Didn't an executive from CSX get a position within the Bush administration?