Railroad Forums 

• South Hampton St. yard & East Junction yard

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#57974  by eddiebear

The East Junction layover facility is an MBTA creation. When Conrail gave up the operation of the Boston Commuter operation and the Boston and Maine was chosen to operate it, March, 1977, service between Boston and Providence was operated out of Providence. There were some Attleboro turns but no equipment was stored there. Subsequently, there was a funding impasse and the MBTA quit running to Rhode Island for a number of years. The East Junction layover dates from sometime in the 1980s. I couldn't give you a more precise date.
At one time there was a freight yard in the same area and served several local industries. I think Thompson Chemical was a major one.

#58029  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea i can see the remains of the yard near East Junction, but it isn't used anymore, nore connected w/ the mainline

#61747  by CSX Conductor

The East Junction running track is still connected to the NEC, as well as the East Jct's lead on the east end. :wink: