Railroad Forums 

• South Bend: LRT candidate or SS extension downtown?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#166134  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I read some posts here about South Bend: Can the SB/Mishawaka/Elkhart area either support light rail transit or an extension of the South Shore Line to DT SB or further? Is there connecting transit service from the SB Airport to DT SB? I find it interesting that a city the size of SB is served by the SS from the Airport station only. I realize that Bendix was not the best location but when did the SS end serving DT SB? Is the former NYC station DT still intact? Can it be used by new extended rail service or an regional LRT? The SB Airport rail is a good starting point for a LRT service going east from this point. Notre Dame would be another potential large traffic generator. Anyone have any opinions or ideas? MACTRAXX

#168577  by Arborwayfan

The CSSSB ran into downtown South Bend on street tracks until about 1970. Then it was cut back to a station at the edge of town that it shared with Amtrak. A couple decades later it was extended from just west of that station to the SB airport. There's no downtown station now. There is a special-event station on the way to the airport, where buses can pick people up from football specials and take them over to the stadium at Notre Dame.
I don't know why there's not even a regular stop in SB except the airport, since the airport is several minutes further from much of SB than the place where the line to the airport turns north just west of the SB Amtrak station. When Indiana goes onto daylight savings time next year commuting into Chicago from South Bend might get more attractive because the time difference will always be the same. The timetables will certainly get simpler. I wonder if the South Shore Line will see more business from SB then, just because it'll seem easier.

#263409  by Unreal

oh really? :) :) :)