Railroad Forums 

• Sounding of the Horn

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#232095  by CSX Conductor

I remember you're Zone 3, but just curios....after-all, you are subject to run into the Boston RFE while on a round-trip east. CYA, I totally agree, noone else is going to cover it for ya. :wink:

#232185  by roadster

In the most recent System Bulletin reissue 100 4/1/06, it mention in no case should the horn be blown more than a quater mile from the crossing, about 1300 ft, even if less than 15 seconds from crossing. But I noticed that the whistle post here in western New York are 3800 ft from the crossing, an attached graph states that at speeds of 45mph and above the horn should be sounded at the whistle post. Of note also the FRA notice stated that it is better to err on the side of caution and sound sooner and longer. I suggest for the fans out here to try to judge time and distance yourselves. Pick a spot head of you while driving and try to figure the distance in seconds (15-20).

#232521  by Railjunkie

I do remember a Joe but cant remember his last name, Im terrible with names. Havent made that many trips over the B&A in my short time as a hogger.

#232955  by Aji-tater

Federal law pre-empts state law. However, the Feds see their regulations as a minimum and railroads (and maybe states?) are free to make more stringent standards if they want. Kind of a contradiction. But therein lies a trap. Roadster - wanna bet you have broken the law EVERY TIME you cross a road? How long do you keep on blowing that horn - edge of the road? Middle? Far side of the road? WRONG!

New York State Railroad Law 53-b. "A person acting as engineer driving a locomotive...who fails to ring the bell or sound the whistle upon such locomotive.....at least 80 rods from any place such railway crosses a traveled road or street...or to continue sounding such whistle at intervals, until such locomotive and the train to which the locomotive is attached shall have completely crossed such road or street is guilty of a misdemeanor."

So if you take that literally, in New York if you're pulling a 2-mile train, you keep sounding the whistle two miles after you hit the road. Another archaic statute still on the books. If and when there is a move to revise and update portions of that law, it will be a help to the railroads to have support enough to have the revisions passed.

#233479  by roadster

Oh the life of an outlaw. lol, well local laws can further restrict, they can not contradict. Any law doing so is constitutionally illegal. There are thousand of laws on the books which haven't been removed. oh well.
 #237349  by ENR3870

TB Diamond wrote:Many years ago an old head once told me:"The rules don't say how long or how loud the horn must be blown". He was correct back then, but times do change.
I hate to quote the rulebook again...

CROR 14(ii) Engine whistle signals must be sounded as prescribed by this rule and shoud be distinct, with intensity and duration proportionate to the distance the signal is to be conveyed. Unnecessary use of the whistle is prohibited.