Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1358288  by Hamilton Express

I came across this article months back, and I was wondering if this is good news.

http://hudsonreporte..._york_top_story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think?

NOTE: I have been fascinated in this system for a while now.
 #1362399  by Hamilton Express

Allan wrote:Photography on PATH is still prohibited unless you have a permit and are accompanied by someone from PATH. http://www.panynj.gov/path/rules-regs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, but take a good look at this quote from the spokesman in the article.
Citizens are allowed to engage in photography at all Port Authority venue unless it's a secure off location. (From PA spokesman Joe Pentangelo)
 #1362466  by Allan

I read that but until PATH changes its rules online (and probably elsewhere), what was quoted in a newspaper holds no legal standing (they can always claim it was misquoted or taken out of context).

I believe that what Joe Pentangelo was referring to when he says "all Port Authority venue" are PA buildings like the PA Bus Terminal, the GW Bridge Bus Terminal and the WTC site.
 #1370076  by Head-end View

Well let's see now. PATH bans photography; they have no trash cans in their stations; you can't eat or drink anything on their trains; you can't see out the front anymore; and their turnstiles don't accept NYCTA Senior-Citizen/Reduced Fare Metrocards. All-in-all a real user-friendly system.............. :( :(
 #1370272  by Fan Railer

Not to mention their handling of the service suspension for Jonas was atrocious lol. And don't get me started on their safety culture... Once you've ridden/observed enough, you'll know why they don't want pictures or videos shot on their property. I've seen operators light cigs and smoke while operating.
 #1370324  by Head-end View

Lack of safety culture? I would have thought the opposite despite all my criticism of PATH. When was the last serious train collision or derailment on PATH? I know of one in the 1940's (my Mom and aunt were on the train that crashed) But I do not know of any since then, (knock-on-wood) probably the result of their having mechanical trippers at their signals similar to the NYC Subway. Looks to me like a pretty good safety record.
 #1370598  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Lack of safety culture? I would have thought the opposite despite all my criticism of PATH. When was the last serious train collision or derailment on PATH? I know of one in the 1940's (my Mom and aunt were on the train that crashed) But I do not know of any since then, (knock-on-wood) probably the result of their having mechanical trippers at their signals similar to the NYC Subway. Looks to me like a pretty good safety record.
Aside from the things I've mentioned, there are quite a few other details that have been shared with me with people in the know that I will not divulge here. I don't make the claim without some solid reasoning.
 #1371683  by Hawaiitiki

Was 2012, but yea it happened. Pretty bad for a system with only 13 stations and two traditional terminal stations (33rd and Hoboken). Every other station has tail tracks of some sort. They keep saying new signaling, whenever it arrives, will increase safety and decrease headways. What a joke the whole PA is. Its a sin we let this happen in our country.

#1376204  by GirlOnTheTrain

A: Let's keep this on topic and not turn it into a debate about PATH's safety record or poor examples of crew behavior.

B: Until PATH changes the language of their rules in an official capacity, take any deviation from such with a boulder of salt. After all, we all know how many misconceptions abound pertaining to photography on neighboring transit systems where it's actually allowed...so who knows if this person being quoted even knows what the actual policy is.