Railroad Forums 

• So, where are all of these "New" Locos, now?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#417617  by railwatcher

Where are all of "new" Locomotives now? I have been heard that all of these units are bought and/or leased. There must be someone tracking the whereabouts of these, so that maybe they will show up soon, to be prepped to go to work on the LAL network.

ONCT 418 - enroute to Lakeville (and on to where?)
Seminole Gulf #550 - was enroute from Fla, awhile ago, is it taking the scenic route?
The M&E units #4264, 4223, & 4228

And are some of the rumored, 636's coming from NYS&W?

Where are they now, and what action is being done?

Which are going to Lakeville, or Cohocton, or right on to WNYP?

#417624  by pablo

If anything is in transit, obviously, it is going somplace, and perhaps we all just don't know yet.

What hasn't started moving is probably waiting fro just such a plan.

What I continue to be amazed about is that there are so many new ALCOs headed to the WNYP. I recognize the value of some protect power, but holy cow...is there some more traffic that's about to appear, even in the next twelve months, that justifies all this power?

Dave Becker

#417709  by 5400

WNYP is effectively doubling it's yearly carload traffic. Your going to see a great deal more through traffic trains between Meadville and Olean, Driftwood and OLean, and Driftwood and Hornell. That combined with the need to move much larger trains than you've seen in the past over heavy grade territory will more than warrant the need for larger and greater quanities of power.

What's exciting is when it all works and is painted and lettered for WNYP. :)

#417722  by pablo

5400, sounds like you're there, and I'm not anymore. It's quite possible you know more than I did...or do.

When I was there, a number of us would scratch our heads and wonder why NS didn't take more advantage of the line, so to speak. The potential was there, and it's great to see.

Along those lines, the LAL family does not move on something unless it's a given, so assuming all of these nits show up, it's a given something is up.

Last thing to say: you can believe it only when you see it.

I sincerely hope it all works out: everything is there for it to do so.

David Becker

#417839  by 5400

Takeover of the Buffalo line is basicly the reason for all this. Interchange points will be changing and traffic will increase alot.

Are you Otto's friend who work as a dispatcher for them? If so then I'm sure you've heard of me. And yes, I am now employeed in the ranks of WNYP.

#417890  by Luther Brefo

Provided 418 does not get misrouted like the last time it moved over a class one (on its way to Hornell to be painted), it should be in Lakeville within the end of the coming week. This is merely an assumption but the engine is in Geneva, CSX may have already inspected it, now it is simply time to wait for a good window of time where the engine can be run to Lyons, interchanged with CSX, then run to Genesee Junction and handed off to the LA&L. It's all about timing right now.

It looks like the 418 will be in Lakeville for some time. There is some work that needs to be done to it.

From what I hear, the 4223, 4228, and 4264 still have yet to leave the M&E. This was as of last week. This may have changed by now.

I have no update on the 550 other than it is still on its way.

I doubt that all of these engines are coming to Lakeville. I am absolutely certain that the 418 is coming to Lakeville. I am pretty certain that the 550 is also Lakeville bound. The 4223 and 4228 should be headed straight to the WNYP. And I have no clue as to what is going on with the 4264 although, I have a feeling it will head straight to the WNYP as well. If it runs, it goes to the WNYP, else send it to Lakeville or Cohocton seems to be the name of the game. Lakeville is near capacity for locomotives. There is one more spot in the engine house (for 418, I presume) with another spot available for a locomotive to be stored outdoors.

When the 418 and 550 arrive there will be eleven locomotives in town:

20, 72, 418, 420, 425, 432, 433, 319, 320, 321, and the 550. Wow!

#417957  by railwatcher

Thank you for your input everyone, Luther, Pablo and 5400. Information that you gave was interesting. Of course, some is a compilation of what I have read from all the rail websites, that I read. But, also there were some added thoughts visable.

I guess I am looking at something alittle different, or haven't got part of my question worded correctly, or the fact that I have asked about different units in the same line of questions. So let me further add my thought to add to my question at the beginning of this.

It takes two days to drive from Florida, legally, using Federal DOT laws for trucking or busing. It takes under half a day (being very generous, more like 1 1/2 hours) to go from Geneva to Lakeville. And Binghamton to, I assume (being dangerous here) Cohocton maybe 4 hours, and 8 hours from New York to Hornell. With this being said, and the fact that I understand that CSX has to check out the engine as to being "road worthy." Why does it take so long to get from "point A to point B?" The cost of letting a unit sit alone in an unwatched or underwatched yard can create an opportunity for vandalism. So an engine, I would think, should move along fairly quickly along its way, to avoid potential problems. Shouldn't they be considered valuable merchandise and moved right along?

Thanks, your answers are appreciated.

#417968  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:It takes two days to drive from Florida, legally, using Federal DOT laws for trucking or busing. It takes under half a day (being very generous, more like 1 1/2 hours) to go from Geneva to Lakeville. And Binghamton to, I assume (being dangerous here) Cohocton maybe 4 hours, and 8 hours from New York to Hornell. With this being said, and the fact that I understand that CSX has to check out the engine as to being "road worthy." Why does it take so long to get from "point A to point B?" The cost of letting a unit sit alone in an unwatched or underwatched yard can create an opportunity for vandalism. So an engine, I would think, should move along fairly quickly along its way, to avoid potential problems. Shouldn't they be considered valuable merchandise and moved right along?

Thanks, your answers are appreciated.
From Geneva to Lakeville by road is a short trip. By rail, it is a different story. It's a matter of when CSX has time to handle the locomotive move. Remember, Lyons is no longer a fully active facility. It's is more like Genesee Junction (but in much better condition.) There is no crew stationed at Lyons, so, when the traffic on the main quiets down, CSX will run a local out of Rochester (from what I have heard) that will then head to Lyons and pick up the 418. The local must then change direction and head onto the shore like they used to and the LA&L has to be there with waiting arms to receive the engine. This all has to happen at a time when CSX has a nice big window of time before any of their trains which are certainly more important to them come through town. Up to this point the 418 has been safely tucked away in Geneva alongside the Finger Lakes locomotives. It is in a safer location there than it would be at Lyons or Genesee Junction.

The 550 is a whole other story. I doubt there is a train that leaves Florida, headed directly for Rochester in one shot, along the way, crew changes, block swaps, drops, pickups, and other "ordinary" CSX actions can cause delays. Remember, to CSX, the 550 is another product that they are shipping and it doesn't say UPS, or Chicago bound so "it can wait" might be the mentality. Hopefully it is closer than it was last week. If it were an engine transfer from one CSX terminal to another CSX terminal for CSX engines, it might go by quicker because it'd be important to them. I'm just hoping they have not goofed up the 550.

And then there is the 418 (the first time). This one from what I hear was simply a lack of understanding that just because it says Ontario on it does not mean it is meant for Canada or for being bounced between Buffalo and Toronto.

Another example of this sort of thing would be with the Medina E8s that spent an extra week or so in transit due to the crews forgetting to set out the big behemoths in Buffalo.

Somewhere along the Atlantic Coast (not Atlantic Coast Line :) ), there is an Alco C425 anxious to get to its new home. Let's hope it makes it in time.

#418054  by PVRX1

YEP.

MDDE sent a CF7 from middle Delaware to northern Delaware and it turned up weeks later in Birmingham, Alabama.

The 418 could make several round trips from Buffalo to Selkirk before it actually lands at Genesee Junction.

Anything that goes into Selkirk will sit there endlessly.

Another loco made two round trips from Allentown to Pittsburgh before it came east into NJ.

Freight may be a different story but when you ship a locomotive, for whatever reason, they can't get simply from point a to point b. The 418 has a chance because it has to go to Rochester.

#418158  by railwatcher

PVRX1 wrote:
The 418 could make several round trips from Buffalo to Selkirk before it actually lands at Genesee Junction.

Freight may be a different story but when you ship a locomotive, for whatever reason, they can't get simply from point a to point b. The 418 has a chance because it has to go to Rochester.
Doesn't anybody know anything about customer service?! I'm sure they aren't shipping the loco's for free.

#418170  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:
PVRX1 wrote:

Doesn't anybody know anything about customer service?! I'm sure they aren't shipping the loco's for free.
You've got that right. I don't think there are any freebies on this matter.

#418982  by mountie17

While 4223 (still in NJ, M&E lettering stripped and patched with RRPX logos) and 4264 (not sure where it is) were both in NJ, 4228 will most likely go directly from Maine. So the routing there will have some of the three locos probably arriving at different times.

#419328  by RS115

4264 remains in the Ridgedale Ave runaround where it has been for some time. It keeps the shrink-wrapped #22 and 4231 and a flat car of misc stuff company.

#422811  by Alcoman

Has the 418 been to Selkirk yet? I was down there twice and have not seen it yet.

#422878  by BR&P

LOL! Sounds like a big vote of no-confidence for CSX!

Hopefully 418 will travel from Geneva to Lyons and thence westward to Genesee Junction, into the waiting arms of LA&L.