Railroad Forums 

• So is BNSF still a good choice for new conductor

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1288580  by countryswagger

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the railroad game but I've been looking for a job with the railroad for a few weeks now. I came across the article talking about BNSF taking the crew down to one man and basically doing away with the conductor spot. I put in an application for them in Memphis but I've been wondering - Is it still a good idea? I'd be moving from middle GA, so I don't want to go out there and end up being furloughed or something because they started this new plan and started cutting conductor spots. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions or insight to what might actually happen with this new system?

Thanks guys I appreciate it.
 #1288939  by MichaelB86

I hope that doesn't happen. The Engineer all by himself in the cab? lol yeah right. PTC isn't an override for a good crew. Not only that, but instead of kicking back and jerking the throttle all night, that poor hoghead now has to keep track of all those Warrants, Bulletins, and Mandatory Directives all by himself. And BTW, how is he supposed to copy a Mandatory Directive when he's operating the damn locomotive?

As for the conductor, If I'm not mistaken they will basically be glorified Rapid Responders, a "Master Conductor". You will have a truck and a specific territory in which you will be responsible for all the trains operating within it's limits. I guess it's not so bad if the hours are better and the paycheck stays the same. It just doesn't make sense.

Then again, that ^^^ is all hear say. It still has to be voted through.

As for your question, BNSF is a good choice to be a conductor. System Seniority and a better paycheck than most other conductors at other Class 1's. If you get on, don't run away from any extra Certification that comes up. Get that RCO Cert and if Fireman School knocks on your door, jump all over it. Even if you have to be a groundhog for 10 + years it's a good thing to have if and when they finally DO get rid of conductors. lol Follow the rules and if a manager talks to you, don't look him directly into his eyes, that's how they steal your soul.