• Snow Train at Mid-Continent - 2/13-14-15

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by TicketPunch

Snow Train will run at Mid-Continent on Feb.13,14,and 15.
Dinner train is fully booked for the weekend but First Class and Coach tickets are still available.
These will be the first revenue trains since Aug. After flooding closed the railroad in June lots of work was necessary to get the trains moving again. A few runs were made in August using the 45 ton GE but the little engine only lasted a week before it gave up. In late July the trucks of the No. 7 Alco were sent out for repair and were returned two weeks ago. The trucks were completely rebuilt including a new axle and new brass. The trucks of the No. 1256 Baldwin (former U.S. Army) were sent out when the Alco's trucks came back. The GE needs a new traction motor and will be worked on when the weather warms up.
Work continues on the rebuild of the Western Coal and Coke No. 1 steam engine. Hopefull that can be completed in a year or so.

Joe
  by TicketPunch

I forgot to mention that the fund drive for restoration of the Badger 2 fish car was successful. On November 20 the B2 was sent to Avalon Rail in Milwaukee and is undergoing restoration. Lots of photos on the Mid-Continent web site: http://midcontinent.org/restorations/badger2.html.

Joe
  by mrconductor55

Its good to here that work is commencing to get the steam program together again. I've only been there twice, once in February '99 for the snow train, pulled by the Polson Logging Co. #2 I was 6 years old. I came back 5 years later in March of 2004 to see the #2 in pieces. The first time I went, the Blue Alco was running as well that day.
  by TicketPunch

Good Idea Otto. I got er did.

See you there.
  by TicketPunch

The Polson Logging #2 is also undergoing restoration. A new boiler is being manufactured for it by Milwuakee Boiler International. It may beat WC&C 1 back into service. No.2 can be seen covered in blue tarps on the web cam #2. It's next to the Milwaukee Road 988, an RSC-2. http://www.midcontinent.org/netcam/ WC&C1 is in the engine house.

Joe
  by Stmtrolleyguy

I spent a good 45 minutes today before lunch reading about the fish cars :-D
I never knew that fish were moved by rail (or even that the idea of stocking and moving fish on such a large scale) existed in the early 1900s.

A very well-written and interesting diversion before lunch. :-D
  by Otto Vondrak