Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1591218  by flexliner

I recall noticing an extra center track between Smith 9th and 4th Ave that seems to rise up to the viaduct. Where from? Used for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1591283  by STrRedWolf

flexliner wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:33 pm I recall noticing an extra center track between Smith 9th and 4th Ave that seems to rise up to the viaduct. Where from? Used for?
Pulling up my copy of Tracks of the NYC Subway 2022 Edition Rev 1... Yeah, it was a pocket track, B5. It would of hooked into B3 & B4 tracks between Smith/9th St and 4th Ave/9th St. Since the 2010-2013 rebuild, it's been removed and whatever functionality it had for switching between B3 and B4 are in a pair of crossovers at 4th/9th.
 #1591499  by GojiMet86

The big mystery is why that track was built in the first place as it opened alongside Church Avenue, which was built as an actual terminal.

IND trains on the Fulton line originally terminated at Rockaway Avenue, a local station not designed as a terminal, and not Broadway Junction because of WWII shortages. And 169th Street on the QBL was the terminal before 179th Station was built, but there were plans already to extend the line.

Why they built that Smith and 7th Avenue stretch with that turnback layout is beyond me.
 #1591502  by ConstanceR46

The IND second system had plans for a Ft. Hamilton line branching off the Culver before Church Av - perhaps a provision for that, under previous IND strategy where they'd keep locals within one borough?
 #1593431  by DaveBarraza

Saw that spur used exactly once, by a school car.