Railroad Forums 

• Small Concrete Supports Next to Old Railway

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1441444  by mabo2211

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. My 65 year old father has begun walking on the "Rail Trail" between Groton, MA and Pepperell, MA recently and noticed these concrete supports off to the side. He's been puzzling about what they were originally used for. There are 3 of them, separated by about 10 feet.

One theory is that they supported a bench, but they are located in the woods, nowhere near town, and not near anything of economic significance, so it seems unlikely people would pour concrete footings with rebar for a bench (probably) in the middle of some farmer's field.

Any ideas?

If this is not the correct place to post this question, please let me know. I am only here to try to solve this mystery for my Dad.

Thanks!
Attachments:
concrete.PNG
concrete.PNG (847.21 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
 #1441489  by DutchRailnut

most likely rail-keep, a stanchion that held spare lengths of rail for track department , they use to be located about every half mile .
and held 4 or 6 spare rails.
 #1441493  by edbear

The B & M term was rail rest. They were usually located opposite each milepost so that if a rail broke a track crew would never be more than half a mile from an available length of replacement rail.
 #1441497  by mabo2211

Wow, you guys are great. Very interesting. Thanks for that great info. Your answers seem reasonable, and indeed, it is within about 100 feet of a mile marker.

Thanks to you both. My dad no longer has to wonder what they are every time he walks by them.

Are there any pictures of what these would look like when in operation? Were they housed in a covered cabinet, or otherwise protected from the weather?

Thanks again.