Railroad Forums 

• Slug use

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#138670  by n2xjk

I was remarking realier how, um, drab, a gp40 and slug were looking. Makes me wonder though if there is a particular operational reason CSX would call for a slug on the River Line. ...or no reason other the slug and its mate were next on the ready line when they needed to hook power to this train?

#139095  by ACLfan

Well, aside from the reason that has already been provided (that they were next in line), possible reasons include:

The "mother / slug unit" were a better choice for use than 2 diesel locomotives, where extra tractive effort was needed to handle switching duties along the route; or

The "mother / slug unit" were being ferried to an intended destination point via one or more train assignments; or

An available locomotive shortage required the "mother / slug unit" be used to meet train assignment needs.

ACLfan

#140517  by rocketman

The RR has been hurting for power lately and they'll use just about anything to fill the spot. Unfortunately it seems like all the good AC power with the working air conditioning must be all down south because even the hot van trains are being run with junk power up here. Had an emty rack train headed for Canada the other day. The leader was an old Conrail SD40-2 and the inbound crew from Boston had reported that the low lube oil trip button would pop and shut the engine down when going into dynamic breaking. The flying squad checked it out but couldn't find anything wrong (naturally). The toilet stunk to high hell and it was about 90 out and the sun was a beatin down - let me tell ya what. This train is authorized to run at 60 mph when possible. The best we could do with a dead leader and two trailing SD40's was 42 on flat and level, but we managed to do a little better down hill. I managed to get the ol leader to stay running, we finally cranked up to sixty when the marker fell off the back of the train shortly after going through Palmyra - it was the trip from hell. It was a twelve hour day and we did make it to Buffalo. Fortunately it was a quick turn out of the Hotel and was deadheaded back on Amtrak (thank goodness) the following morning.

#140730  by CSX Conductor

CSX CHris, that was Monday's Q283, right? I saw that power line-up in the morning and never imagined it would have made it to Selkirk.

Any trip with that Q283 always seems to be a "trip from hell", especially since that new scab outfit opened up it's operation in East Brookfield.

#141180  by rocketman

SCABS!!

Q283 it was