Railroad Forums 

• Slow speeds between Metropark & Metuchen on Track 4

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1299790  by davidfurg

Over the past 4 weeks or so I have noticed that NJ Transit Trains going from Metropark to Metuchen Stations are traveling no more than 40-45 mph and usually slower. The slow track starts just as you leave Metropark station and appears to continue a couple of hundred yards south/west of Metuchen station. Since this has been happening every day regardless of which train I am on I can only assume there is a track condition causing slow orders for this section of track. Does anyone know what the problem is?

David Furgang
 #1299804  by 25Hz

There is a track out & maybe they gotta fit coast line trains...... if it isn't that then i dunno.
 #1300036  by philipmartin

25Hz wrote:There is a track out & maybe they gotta fit coast line trains...... if it isn't that then i dunno.
There would be a lot of unhappy Coast Line customers if they fit their trains in there. :wink: The Coast Line leaves the NEC at Rahway, which is east of Metropark and Metuchin.
 #1300042  by davidfurg

AmTransit wrote:There is a 30MPH speed restriction on 4 track between the Park and Metuchen.
My question is why? Signal Problems? Bad track? Cracking railroad ties?

David Furgang
 #1300393  by 25Hz

philipmartin wrote:
25Hz wrote:There is a track out & maybe they gotta fit coast line trains...... if it isn't that then i dunno.
There would be a lot of unhappy Coast Line customers if they fit their trains in there. :wink: The Coast Line leaves the NEC at Rahway, which is east of Metropark and Metuchin.
Yes but i've been on NEC NYP bound trains slowed to allow NYP/HOB bound coast line trains get in front for track 2 at newark penn probably about 50 times. That plus one track out could easily cause a routine slow spot, even without a slow order.
 #1300568  by srock1028

There are two 30MPH restrictions on both tracks 1 and 4 in the Metropark area. Track 1 is only between Iselin and Menlo Interlockings, not much exposure to eastbound trains stopping at the park. The more noticeable restriction in on track 4 from Menlo to Lincoln Interlockings, 2.5 mile long restriction on paper. Not sure why NJCL trains got brought into the conservation, no impact to them at all, local or express in either direction. Also, my guess is the restrictions are there for concrete ties.
 #1300617  by F40

srock1028 wrote:There are two 30MPH restrictions on both tracks 1 and 4 in the Metropark area. Track 1 is only between Iselin and Menlo Interlockings, not much exposure to eastbound trains stopping at the park. The more noticeable restriction in on track 4 from Menlo to Lincoln Interlockings, 2.5 mile long restriction on paper. Not sure why NJCL trains got brought into the conservation, no impact to them at all, local or express in either direction. Also, my guess is the restrictions are there for concrete ties.
When were the concrete ties laid on Tracks 1 and 4 in these areas? I am used to at least one engineer who would fly into Metropark on Track 1 (clocked in at 75 mph next to the Alfilri building, before these restrictions of course). :wink:
 #1300886  by OportRailfan

srock1028 wrote:There are two 30MPH restrictions on both tracks 1 and 4 in the Metropark area. Track 1 is only between Iselin and Menlo Interlockings, not much exposure to eastbound trains stopping at the park. The more noticeable restriction in on track 4 from Menlo to Lincoln Interlockings, 2.5 mile long restriction on paper. Not sure why NJCL trains got brought into the conservation, no impact to them at all, local or express in either direction. Also, my guess is the restrictions are there for concrete ties.
Ding Ding Ding
 #1300892  by amtrakhogger

OportRailfan wrote:Also be prepared for the TLS cutting back in from Lincoln to Menlo on 1 Trk starting sometime at the end of November/beginning of December
That would explain the boatload of ties sitting in Adams yard these days.
 #1300936  by srock1028

OportRailfan wrote:Also be prepared for the TLS cutting back in from Lincoln to Menlo on 1 Trk starting sometime at the end of November/beginning of December
Great! Bridge Plates at Metuchen and I doubt the NJT timetables aren't set up for that. They are most likely set up for the temp platform at Hamilton and bridge plates at Princeton Junction. Hopefully its not for that long!
 #1300944  by 25Hz

amtrakhogger wrote:
That would explain the boatload of ties sitting in Adams yard these days.
Are they in piles, or in tie cars?
 #1301151  by twropr

Actually the 30 MPH restriction between Menlo and Iselin would add at least 1.5 min. to the running time of an Amtrak regional making a stop at Metropark since TK 1 is used between these interlockings. The westbound regional that is being overtaken by an Acela on TK 3 would take a much heavier beating - either being held at Menlo for the Acela to clear before following on "3" or continuing on "4" and enduing more 30 MPH until crossing over at Lincoln.
Andy