Railroad Forums 

• Slow speeds between Metropark & Metuchen on Track 4

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1301158  by amtrakhogger

25Hz wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:Also be prepared for the TLS cutting back in from Lincoln to Menlo on 1 Trk starting sometime at the end of November/beginning of December
That would explain the boatload of ties sitting in Adams yard these days.
Are they in piles, or in tie cars?
On flat cars.
 #1301911  by ryanov

25Hz wrote:Yes but i've been on NEC NYP bound trains slowed to allow NYP/HOB bound coast line trains get in front for track 2 at newark penn probably about 50 times. That plus one track out could easily cause a routine slow spot, even without a slow order.
Again, how could a train that left the NEC at Rahway affect the speed west of Metropark?
 #1302066  by Matt Johnson

ryanov wrote:
25Hz wrote:Yes but i've been on NEC NYP bound trains slowed to allow NYP/HOB bound coast line trains get in front for track 2 at newark penn probably about 50 times. That plus one track out could easily cause a routine slow spot, even without a slow order.
Again, how could a train that left the NEC at Rahway affect the speed west of Metropark?
Operational cadence factorization multiplier effect?
 #1302155  by 25Hz

Matt Johnson wrote:
ryanov wrote:
Operational cadence factorization multiplier effect?
On the NEC, the massive volume of trains doing mutiple stop patterns plus anything going on MOW wise means any train could affect any other train, even hours apart when you also take into account equipment being turned, if it is late, etc. When i was a regular rider, sometimes delays from one thing perpetuated like ripples throughout the day & was still an issue 12 hours later. More than once a MLV set was dragging a branch between cars, and instead of turning it at the station in trenton, it was sent to morrisville to be checked out more thoroughly.

This was before amtrak's huge brush/tree trim job, so i'm sure it probably happens less over all nowdays. :P