Railroad Forums 

• Slight O/T Huber Breaker Threatened

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#330761  by CAR_FLOATER

Nick -

Nice old CNJ pic of the Huber....Where'd you find this? Is it from your collection? Any idea what year?

CF

#330873  by CAR_FLOATER

Thx Nick...Never saw that one in my travels over on the Gingerbread site....

CF

#334249  by jmp883

I grew up in Clarks Summit, just north of Scranton, in the 1970's, long after the anthracite mining came to an end. However I do remember seeing the Huber breaker. It most definitely needs to be saved and restored. There is very little left to remind people of the industry that was responsible for the whole region's growth. A restored Huber breaker and the Lackawanna Miners Museum underground mine tour would give visitors a complete view of the coal mining process. Let's hope they do the right thing.

At least there is one aspect of anthracite mining that is thankfully gone....those hideous, odorous culm banks. :-D

#339354  by b&m617

I have visited the HUBER breaker a few times and agree that it should be saved. Problem is, as Al Roman says in the article, it's worth some serious $$ in scrap right now, and in that business time is of the essence, as the bottom could drop out of the market any time. Somebody paying you a whopping some to tear it down is better that having to to it yourself. Doesn't sound like he will put up with a bunch of dilly-dallying from the politicians, something that they do best!!! My grandfather was a coal miner for Kingston Coal co. in edwardsville. Black lung eventually got him. I'm finding out that a lot of folks don't want to be reminded of the coaling industry in the Wyoming Valley, since the companies work the employees to death and paid them peanuts to do such a dangerous job. Having the breaker restored would remind them of the suffering the miners went thru to support their families. 2 sides to the coin I guess. Do go in and take a look and as Nick said, get your pictures while you can. I was lucky enough to get many pics of the Harry E. (bucket of blood) Breaker in Swoyersville, and the Sullivan Train breaker in Exeter before they tore those down. :-D

discussion???

work safe
Derail :wink:

#352011  by b&m617

Took a tour of the Huber yesterday; IMHO, there isn't enough money in the world to make this into a public attraction. take any piece of it: remediation of ground soil, asbestos removal (there's so much of this stuff in the bldgs and a lot of it you cant even see how much of it there is), holes that are easily fallen into, and somebody robbed the support beams in the area where the cars where shoved under the building and the ceiling (concrete and I beams) is already sagging. Couldn't imagine how much it would be to get a contractor to put new siding/windows in.

Anyone know if they have a master plan and what the phases are??

Thanks

work safe
derail :P