Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1419657  by cobra30689

History question.....

Being born and raised in Elizabeth, I knew the PRR main was 4 tracks LONG before electrification. But does anyone know when A and B track were laid between Elmora and Union?
 #1419670  by timz

Somewheres around 1911. The intention was to have six tracks all the way to Lane.

Remember that plan to build a freight line from Morrisville, running south of Trenton to rejoin the four-track main around Colonia? The six tracks Elmora-Union was the first part of that plan.

Ever notice how Rahway had a high platform between tracks 2 and 3, to go with the one between 4 and B? Presumably the intention was to have those two island platforms on the four passenger tracks-- the two freight tracks would be SE of the four-track main.
 #1419760  by kilroy

The platform between tracks 2 and 3 was a low level platform. It has been removed at this point.
 #1419766  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Interesting topic - but posted in the wrong place(s)...

This discussion should be in either/or the PRR or New Jersey Railfan Forums because of this being
an historical question that dates before Amtrak's direct control of the NEC beginning in 1976.

I would like to see a relevant track map showing this routing...

MACTRAXX
 #1419777  by Jeff Smith

MACTRAX, you saw the "shadow" topic. I had already moved it to PRR. When you followed the "shadow" from Amtrak, it took you to the new location in PRR. You can always tell by the Board index above or below. In this case: Board index ‹ Fallen Flags ‹ Pennsylvania Railroad
 #1419814  by timz

The platform between tracks 2 and 3 at Rahway was a high level-- dunno until when. 1950s? I assume when they removed it they didn't replace it with anything, but for all I know maybe it was a low-level platform for an unknown period after the high-level was removed. Don't plan on seeing a pic of a low-level, tho.
 #1419836  by kilroy

Well that would predate me. I've never seen a photo with high level platforms there.

The low level platform wasn't very big, more like a slab of concrete. They didn't use it much but once in a while a train would stop. I think I got off there once.

Attached is a shot I took in 1977 with some people sitting there. They don't look like railroad employees so I suspect they are waiting for one of those once in a blue moon stops there.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=941002