Railroad Forums 

• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#399647  by Nova55

Could you post the photos if possible?

#399783  by Spartan Phalanx

Is this now a 24/7 operation? Is there security at Arlington Yard to prevent trespassing, vandalism and theft?

#399966  by SIRR4207

The rail operation I believe is a Monday thru Friday operation. The crew starts at 8am and usually comes over to staten island around 9 - 930am. I don't know about the weekend but saturday I am off from work so I plan on going to hang out by the tracks. As for security at Arlington yard its all fenced in but I am sure there is a place or to you can sneak in. There are also lights shining in the yard at night and I do don't think there are any cameras. As for theft I don't know why anyone wants to steal garbage...lol

#399977  by Tom V

I saw the bridge down today, it might be the first time I've ever seen it down.

#399998  by SIRR4207

Its a nice site. what time did you see it?

#400041  by Tom V

Between 1-2PM while driving North on the Turnpike, on my trip home (about 3PM) there was a CSX locomotive with a long line of those orange container cars parked right where the new connection between the Chemical Coast line and the bridge.

#401528  by Spartan Phalanx

I saw the AK Bridge in the down position today for the first time ever. No train was crossing it at the time, but from the S.I.-bound side of the Goethals Bridge you could see all the orange rolling stock, which I guess is for the NYC garbage operation. I couldn't make out anything else, rolling stock or motive power-wise.

#405433  by SIRR4207

I caught the BY8 going over the AK bridge at 12:10pm today. Took about 14 pictures today of the Arlington railyard. This yard only has 17cars left in it compared to the 100plus that were here 2 weeks ago. Hopefully I can get my pictures on railroadarchives.net so I can share them with you.

#406499  by SIRR4207

Saw the BY8 sitting on the side of 440 this afternoon with about 40cars bound for NJ. CSX 8886 was in the lead.

#406535  by R-44

Has container traffic started going over yet?

#406540  by blockline4180

R-44 wrote:Has container traffic started going over yet?
I don't think so, but SIRR would know for sure!

#406543  by SIRR4207

The latest news I have for the container traffic is sometime early July. It is not official but it's the proposed time.

#407832  by SIRR4207

On my way home I passed by Arlington yard and I noticed that the BY8 CSX locomotive was tied up there for the night with about 15 garbage cars. I wonder if they will be leaving the locomotive on Staten Island or if the bridge had a malfunction and the crew tied up there. My guess is the bridge but I am not sure anyone know anything?

#408126  by gravelyfan

Conrail South Jersey Dispatcher was talking to the BY8 crew today about AK and mentioned CSXT 8886, so it seems to be hanging around. This unit was built as an Erie Lackawanna SD 45-2, #3676 I believe.

#408223  by SIRR4207

Coming home from work at 3am I saw the BY8 8886 tied down on the chemical coast storage track.