Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1528576  by BuddR32

Sorry if this info is already out there. I didn't find it in a search.

The side indicator lights on the exterior of the R-44 cars on Staten Island Railway, there are RED, BLUE and AMBER. I grew up on SI, but never really understood what they meant, other than the RED lights when the side doors are open. I presume AMBER is Brake APPLIED, but blue?

I know these are slightly modified as they were under FRA standards, does that have anything to do with it?
 #1528602  by Allan

Yes, red means the side doors are open. Blue means that the end doors of the car are unlocked. Amber is an indication that there is problem with one of the motors in the car the light is lit.

Normally the e d doors on R44 cars are locked for safety reasons but usually unlocked in the main operating cars.

This is standard on all NYC subway cars.
 #1528668  by BuddR32

Allan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am Yes, red means the side doors are open. Blue means that the end doors of the car are unlocked. Amber is an indication that there is problem with one of the motors in the car the light is lit.

Normally the e d doors on R44 cars are locked for safety reasons but usually unlocked in the main operating cars.

This is standard on all NYC subway cars.
Thank you. I never noticed the amber or blue lights on any other fleet
 #1528828  by Allan

I want to correct something.

The blue lights are only on 75 foot cars (R44, 46, 68, 68A).

They are not on the shorter car equipment.