Railroad Forums 

• Single track Chicago Line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1440955  by tree68

BR&P wrote: It likely won't succeed, may or may not be attempted, but I firmly believe it's at least been discussed, considered and evaluated in various levels of CSX.
I would opine that it's been discussed at lower levels only because it's come from "upstairs." Those who actually run the trains know better.

Somewhat related question someone may be able to answer - was the "Mainline of Mid-America" (IC/ICG) single tracked before or after EHH"
 #1440974  by Matt Langworthy

Having worked for a large corporation, I wondering if this study (assuming it actually exists!) was perhaps initiated by a mid-level manager or accountant at CSX, rather than upper management. An eavesdropping employee could have had a brief glimpse of a document, meeting or E-mail regarding the Chicago Line study without fully understanding what he/she was looking at... or even who authored the study. This whole scenario could easily be a case of office gossip run amuck, IMO. The study might not have even been seen by the top brass at CSX.
 #1440975  by RMB357

The Illinois Central was single tracked by then President Ed Moyer's, between 1989 and 1991. He also cut payroll and sold off excess rolling stock. Hunter Harrison was I believe Chief operations officer under Moyer's and then took over in 1993 as CEO.
 #1440990  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:I realize TRAINS is the "other guys" for you, but I'd say Frailey's discussion indicates it's more than an internet hoax. It likely won't succeed, may or may not be attempted, but I firmly believe it's at least been discussed, considered and evaluated in various levels of CSX.
Call me when they start pulling up Main 1.

-otto-
 #1441151  by BR&P

EHH says it's fake news, everything is fine. Probably just about what the captain of the Titanic announced soon after hitting the iceberg! :P

From PROGRESSIVE RAILROADING:

CSX President and Chief Executive Officer E. Hunter Harrison has fired back at a coalition of rail-shipper trade associations that complained to Congress about rail-service disruptions as the Class I implements a restructuring aimed at improving efficiency.

In a letter sent Wednesday to the Rail Customer Coalition (RCC), Harrison said CSX was disappointed at the "many unfounded and grossly exaggerated statements" the group has made about CSX's service performance as the Class I implements precision scheduled railroading.
 #1441361  by Wayside

Mr. Harrison's history is one of pushing the envelope to extremes and trying things that even the most knowledgeable and experienced of management personnel would reject out of hand. I have acquaintances at both CN/IC and CP who either got with the program (and became believers) or got flushed because they failed to do so. A bunch of CSX superintendents found out right quick that he meant what he said about how things were changing.

I would expect that CSX will experiment with taking portions of one of the Chicago Line tracks OOS just to see what it does to traffic and service, then adjust or expand as necessary.
 #1441541  by Wayside

newpylong wrote:He will canned before too long.
And he got a 100 ton hopper load of money up front.
 #1441605  by tree68

johnpbarlow wrote:
By whom? Mantle Ridge has made huge gains based on EHH's arrival that they can't realize for 5 years. They (and EHH) look to be in it for the long haul...

http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/ar ... -play.html
The way they're going, CSX may not last that long.

But maybe that's their plan.
 #1441626  by tree68

sd80mac wrote: Can't open.. Bad link??? Can anyone else open this link?
Worked for me.

Try a copy and paste into the address bar.
 #1441630  by sd80mac

tree68 wrote:
sd80mac wrote: Can't open.. Bad link??? Can anyone else open this link?
Worked for me.

Try a copy and paste into the address bar.
tks
 #1441631  by newpylong

johnpbarlow wrote:
By whom? Mantle Ridge has made huge gains based on EHH's arrival that they can't realize for 5 years. They (and EHH) look to be in it for the long haul...

http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/ar ... -play.html
By a proxy vote before there is nothing left of that railroad. Reading that article is sickening.