Railroad Forums 

• Single Geep hauling long train.

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#137754  by UPRR engineer

Engineer James wrote: But, still I get conflicting reports that the GP38-2 cannot support a long train at a high rate of speed approaching a medium-sharp curve.
Why is that? Maybe they were just speeding/highspotting buddy. With a good hog, with air threw the train anything is possible to some extent. I've ran a local train with one motor (SD 50) that had to many loaded cars for an engineer that relyed on the dynamic brakes a little too much to handle safely. I had no problem though, it was a rocket. :wink:

#139665  by Engineer James

It is very possible to have been any of those... all I know is that is was a short low nose unit and single, hauling at least a 50-60 car train... It was going fast...

#140589  by Engineer James

TerryC:
Sorry, I know it was not a GP40... it was too short... had to be a GP38-2.

#140616  by TerryC

Ah, thank you Engineer James.

keep asking keep learning

#141586  by mp15ac

Engineer James wrote:TerryC:
Sorry, I know it was not a GP40... it was too short... had to be a GP38-2.
The "standard" GP38/39/40 and their Dash 2 versions are all the same length. The GP7/9/18, the GP28/35, and the GP15-1 are all shorter the the "40" series.

Stuart

#144864  by Engineer James

Well, maybe you guys were right... although i saw another train this week that was hauling and it was a MP15AC #1170 belongine to the CSX pulling the same train!!

#148616  by CSX Conductor

crazy_nip wrote:and there is no reason a single GP38-2 would be unable to pull a 45 car train of empties on level track...
Nip is correct, as usual. A single GP38-2 or GP40-2 can easily pull about 2000/2500 tons, and the average empty railcar is around 35 to 40 tons. :-)

#149871  by shortlinerailroader

We had one CF7 pull 34 loads of carbon black+two dead locos from a job that did not make it in for 30 miles. Oh..and we were pushing a lame GP10 that kept tripping the ground reley. It took the entire distance to get to 40 MPH. Didnt even have to throttle back for the slow orders. Run 8 all the way. We cleared up with literally one minute to spare.

#150115  by Engineer James

ShortlineRailroader,
CF7?? What Rail line do you work for the Los Angles Junction RR? Or another one?? And how good is the pick-up and control??

#151748  by SRS125

It could have been a GP40 one single unit could handle a 100 car train on level ground at a rate of 25mph with now problum as long as the train did not incounter any grades along the way.

GP39-2's were also vary much active on the Alaska Railroad as well some may have been retired when the SD70MAC's arrived.