Railroad Forums 

• Signals tutorial?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#692233  by CPSK

Hi;
I would like to learn how to read railroad signals; specifically those used on CSX.
Are there any books, videos or web sites where I can go?

Thanks

FW
 #696047  by CSX Conductor

That link would only be helpful for learning CSX signals on former Con-Rail territory because on the rest of the CSX system they use their own signals which some may look the same, but have different meanings.
 #696209  by ExCon90

CSX Conductor wrote:That link would only be helpful for learning CSX signals on former Con-Rail territory because on the rest of the CSX system they use their own signals which some may look the same, but have different meanings.
I have a question about that. I am inferring, following the Chicago rear-ender involving the Amtrak Pere Marquette on NS trackage, and the engineer's statement that he confused the NS red-over-yellow with Medium-Approach, that on CSX the aspects and indications are as follows: Red-over-green = Medium-Clear; red-over-yellow = Medium-Approach; Red-over-lunar = Restricting. Is that correct? And if so, has CSX used lunar for Restricting for a long time (apart from B&O color-position), or is it something recent? (And can Slow-Approach be displayed on a high signal with less than 3 heads?)
 #698589  by CSX Conductor

ExCon90 wrote: I have a question about that. I am inferring, following the Chicago rear-ender involving the Amtrak Pere Marquette on NS trackage, and the engineer's statement that he confused the NS red-over-yellow with Medium-Approach, that on CSX the aspects and indications are as follows: Red-over-green = Medium-Clear; red-over-yellow = Medium-Approach; Red-over-lunar = Restricting. Is that correct? And if so, has CSX used lunar for Restricting for a long time (apart from B&O color-position), or is it something recent? (And can Slow-Approach be displayed on a high signal with less than 3 heads?)
As far as the Amtrak wreck the engineer confused the signal and the other engineer who was on the head-end argued with him that it was a Restricting. Unfortunately she failed "To take action" by putting the train in Emergency until they saw the train.

As for Red over Green, it would be Medium Clear, unless it were a dwarf, then it would be Slow Clear....but it the Green was flashing it would be "Limited Clear", but if the green was solid and Red flashing it would make it Medium Clear. Red over Yellow would be Restricting. Yellow over Red would be Slow Approach but if the Red was flashing it would be Medium Approach. Of course this is on former Con-Rail territory because they are basically NORAC signals. When I was on CSXT I only saw one Lunar signal for Restricting and that was only changed a few years ago. (CP-SM just east of Selkirk Yard in Albany,NY).
 #698639  by ExCon90

Thanks. I thought lunar was fairly new for Restricting on CSX, although I once saw an old B&O rulebook showing lunar on the bottom arm of a 3-arm semaphore for Restricting (instead of yellow in the 45-degree position).
 #709316  by NV290

Go to www.amtrakengineer.com

Scroll down on the left hand side and click on "Rule Book/Signal Review"

Then scroll down and click on: "CSXT Signal Aspects and Indications Rules"

That is the actual CSX manual they issue us in PDF format. The site also has all the other signal info you will ever need. Great source for rule books and signal info.