Railroad Forums 

• Signals

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1042250  by NJT4115

This may sound silly and stupid to ask, but are there any signals on the M&E. I see what look like signals near crossings but I don't know if they are regular signals on the line. Is it because the M&E has little traffic there is no need for signals?
 #1042344  by blockline4180

I'm pretty sure if they are lit it lets the engineer know that the crossing flashers are activated.
 #1042848  by NJT4115

I have noticed that the crossing signals light up, but are there any regular signals (not for crossing use) on the system besides from Morristown to Denville or Dover?
 #1042952  by Ken W2KB

NJT4115 wrote:I have noticed that the crossing signals light up, but are there any regular signals (not for crossing use) on the system besides from Morristown to Denville or Dover?
Signals are expensive to maintain and there is no need for them. For example, when we operate trains on the Black River & Western (which in-service section extends from Three Bridges to Ringoes) it is by (1) timetable authority for regularly scheduled trains, and (2) train orders for all others. With operating rules governing things like separation, dropping fusees, etc. it is very safe.