Railroad Forums 

• Signals

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#80103  by jg greenwood

starionwolf wrote:Thanks for the information about signals. I have heard about interlockings and switches.

When I was on the MetroTrain headed towards the Alexandria train station, I saw some red signals over the freight tracks. Cool!

I am more familiar with the MetroRail subway in Washington D.C. This system uses block signaling and automated train control. I don't know how similar the MetroRail system is with respect to the other signals.

Most signals are near the platforms of some stations.

The MetroRail uses red and white signals. A white lunar signal means "go" while a flashing lunar means diverging track ahead. Red over read means stop - no train can go into the protected "block" or section of the track. I've seen white signals can be between stations. Other signals are obviously at double crossovers and near divergent tracks.

Some signals can be manually cranked or block into different positions if the signals are not working correctly. I didn't realize that running a railroad was lots of work!
And I was always under the assumption that ANY lunar signal was a restricting.

#80457  by Delta

jg greenwood wrote:
starionwolf wrote:Thanks for the information about signals. I have heard about interlockings and switches.

When I was on the MetroTrain headed towards the Alexandria train station, I saw some red signals over the freight tracks. Cool!

I am more familiar with the MetroRail subway in Washington D.C. This system uses block signaling and automated train control. I don't know how similar the MetroRail system is with respect to the other signals.

The MetroRail uses red and white signals. A white lunar signal means "go" while a flashing lunar means diverging track ahead. Red over read means stop - no train can go into the protected "block" or section of the track. I've seen white signals can be between stations. Other signals are obviously at double crossovers and near divergent tracks.

Some signals can be manually cranked or block into different positions if the signals are not working correctly. I didn't realize that running a railroad was lots of work!
On the BNSF, yellow over lunar = approach restricting = proceed prepared to pass next signal at restricted speed. You can go maximum authorized speed so long as you do not pass the next signal in excess of restricted speed.

#80459  by jg greenwood

Delta wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:

On the BNSF, yellow over lunar = approach restricting = proceed prepared to pass next signal at restricted speed. You can go maximum authorized speed so long as you do not pass the next signal in excess of restricted speed.
Maximum authorized speed on the BN with a "hard yellow"?

#80493  by Delta

jg greenwood wrote:
Delta wrote:
jg greenwood wrote: And I was always under the assumption that ANY lunar signal was a restricting.
Maximum authorized speed on the BN with a "hard yellow"?
Yellow over lunar on the BNSF is not a hard yellow. You are not expecting a stop indication at the next signal.

#80501  by jg greenwood

Delta wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:

Understood, thanks.

#81433  by Santa Fe Sucks

Basically every railroad has its own definition of what signal aspects mean--the ones I've seen here certainly aren't in use on the BNSF!

#84129  by starionwolf

jg greenwood wrote:And I was always under the assumption that ANY lunar signal was a restricting.
The flashing lunars do restrict a train to a certain line. It would be odd for a an orange line train to continue stright on the blue line track. :-)