Railroad Forums 

• Signals Always Red... Why?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#290157  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the Boston and Albany CSX mainline (Boston-Selkirk) is set up just the way ACl mentioned

#290602  by keotaman

conrail_engineer wrote:If it is an INTERLOCKING it must be lined by a dispatcher to show a signal other than stop.
An interesting option on Metro North's portion of the NEC is "fleet."
The interlocking signal is set for a train route, the train passes, signal goes to red, then train clears interlocking and signal goes back to a proceed indication (same route lined). Saves the rail controller from having to individually clear route for each train, when multiples are going the same route; they function as automatic signals.

s

#291091  by gp9rm4108

Here's how it works in Canada ... intermediates and advance signals cannot show a stop indication ... their most restrictive indication is restricting ... in some VERY FEW circumstances ... a signal like the above mentioned will have an A plate on it .. making it a stop.

Now when it comes to any controlled location ... say an interlocking or a controlled switch ... they are always red until cleared by the dispatcher.

#291148  by GOLDEN-ARM

Engineer James wrote:But, why? I mean NS interlocking signals just 1/2 mile southeast of there are always all three colors.... Amtrak also operates over the route.
I will notify the C&S department immediately. They should be made aware, of a signal that is always red, yellow and green, all the time. It should have gone red, as soon as it was passed. I can think of only two indications, off the top of my head, that would have all three colors in them. It's gotta be malfunctioning............. :P