• signal with G plate

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by SURGEAHOLIC

what doews the G mean?

by DutchRailnut

Grade.
I believe on grade signal a stop is not required for red signal as with normal automatic signals, with a G plate one can come to rolling stop so train can keep moving without stalling or causing rail burns.
If im wrong please correct without flamming.

by charlie6017

I believe you are right, Dutch. I was filming today at MP 400 on the CSX Main near Batavia NY near the crest of S. Byron hill........the signal bridge there has a "G" under the signals.

If I remember right, Noel touched on that in one thread.........don't know which one, though.

by Jtgshu

Yup, well, at least on some railroads thats what it means.

If a "G" sign is located on a signal with a numberplate (meaning its an automatic) freight trains (at least with NORAC operating rules) can take a stop and proceed signal (the most restrictive signal an automatic signal can give) as a restricting. This is done because of the grade of the tracks at that location, and if the train were to stop, it might have trouble goign again.

There are also some signals that have a "G" as part of the number/name of the signal I.e. Automatic 8-2G. In that case, the G does not mean grade, but instead just used for identification, etc.

Railroads also have their own rules (special instructions) where they can make up their own rules and regulations, and the G might mean something in that instance too.

by roadster

Your are right. On an automatic signal which is identified by a number or letter plate affixed to the mast. Under NORAC a red signal was called a STOP AND PROCEED, with a "G" (Grade) plate a train could continue without stopping at resticted speed. Under CSX rules automatics displaying a Red signal are RESTRICTED PROCEED, allowing the train to continue at restricted speed without stopping. Please do not confuse the automatics with a CP Signal aka Absolute/Home signals which are STOP.