Railroad Forums 

• Signal location

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #951188  by CannaScrews

Does anybody know where signal "E898" was located? I have a photo I'm trying to identify & the semaphore appears on a double track main.

Thanks
 #951212  by Noel Weaver

CannaScrews wrote:Does anybody know where signal "E898" was located? I have a photo I'm trying to identify & the semaphore appears on a double track main.

Thanks
This is almost as bad as trying to find a needle in a haystack. If you can find a way to post the photo, I'll try for you.
Noel Weaver
 #951236  by CannaScrews

Hi Noel:

The photo is below - for full disclosure, I will try to auction this photo on eBay. If anyone does not want to contribute, I understand and will list the photo as is in any case.

However, if this photo is on the Naugy, I will keep it in my personal collection for the RMNE in Thomaston.
My take is somewhere on the Maybrook line, but that is my guess.

The photo intrigues me since it is a relatively small loco with a fair cut of cars. As I think about it - maybe it is on the Shoreline somewhere?

Thanks for any response,

Canna

http://al-g.smugmug.com/Photos/Photos-a ... 52_cNBF4HN

Let's try this....
 #951338  by TCurtin

It isn't the Maybrook --- E63-point-something was as high as the numbers got in the line's ABS days.

Probably the Shore Line. If so, MP 89 would have been around Guilford or so. However, I'm just guessing
 #951716  by Noel Weaver

I am sure that it is not the Shore Line nor is it the Springfield Line. I think it is between Waterbury and Hartford but I am going to try to make a print of this picture and do some more looking. I might check my old timetables for help here, I suspect this might take me some time before I can come up with something.
Noel Weaver
 #951725  by Noel Weaver

I decided to do some more looking now and it is a couple of miles east of New Britain between New Britain and Newington. I got this one figured out because of the pole lines on both sides of the tracks at this location. The lines to the left are both railroad lines and Western Union lines that the railroad maintained and this lines remained in place even along the abandoned section west of Waterbury for many years. The lines on the right in the photo are signal wires and these remained in place until the ABS was discontinued in 1954 at this particular location. Old timetables helped me here too.
This portion of the line has long since been torn up and the whole area around this location looks much different today.
Noel Weaver
 #951771  by CannaScrews

Thanks.

Welcome to the new New Britain-Hartford busway.....
 #953152  by Ridgefielder

CannaScrews wrote:Hi Noel:

The photo is below - for full disclosure, I will try to auction this photo on eBay. If anyone does not want to contribute, I understand and will list the photo as is in any case.

However, if this photo is on the Naugy, I will keep it in my personal collection for the RMNE in Thomaston.

The photo intrigues me since it is a relatively small loco with a fair cut of cars. As I think about it - maybe it is on the Shoreline somewhere?

Thanks for any response,

Canna

Let's try this....
You know, I could swear I've seen this photo published in a book-- maybe Turner's Connecticut Railroads: An Illustrated History?
 #953321  by Ridgefielder

Ridgefielder wrote:
CannaScrews wrote:Hi Noel:

Thanks for any response,

Canna

Let's try this....
You know, I could swear I've seen this photo published in a book-- maybe Turner's Connecticut Railroads: An Illustrated History?
Found it! The photo is on page 36 of Peter Lynch's The New Haven Railroad (2003: MBI Publishing Co., St. Paul, MN); caption reads "After 40 years, 2-6-0 Mogul No. 479 is still on the job in 1947, hauling a local freight from Hartford to New Hartford. It heads west on the Highland and in a few miles at Plainville will go north onto the Canal Line. Kent Cochrane. Thomas J. McNamara Collection."